Power BI Team

Re: Power BI Embedded vs Premium: Clarifications

Hi Pedro et-al,

You have all the right to be angry, but due to expected changes (working in the benefit of you, but cannot be uncovered at this time) we decided that EM1 and EM2 will only become available for purchase as yearly through Volume Licensing for customers on Enterprise Agreements. On top of that EM3 and P1 SKUs have been released and are available as monthly!

Please note that availability of EM1 and EM2 in web-direct has been delayed, we are working to confirm a new timeline. We will provide an update by the end of August. 

Hi @avive - thanks for posting on this.

We were told by James Phillips in the Data Insights summit only a few weeks ago, that entry prices would start around $600 per month (i.e. the 'EM1' solution as per the white paper). Now you are saying it will only be available for those with Enterprise Agreements.

When I go to the EA introductory page, it says that the Agreement is best value for organisations with 500+ devices who want to license services for at least 3 years. Looking at the page, it looks like EA registration goes via the volume licensing centre.

How will this work for the small Power BI developer who wants EM1 or EM2 and nothing else? Do we have to make minimum financial commitments beyond $600/month (or yearly equivalent) or is the point to all this a way of controlling access through the volume licensing centre? 

I can now see the EM3 option, via the Office Admin portal, at £1,881.40 per month (£22,600 per annum) which, I'm afraid, is beyond the reach of most smaller developers. 

@avive - Microsoft really needs to understand that there are quite a lot of small developers who have been working on small projects investing time and money. We are all taking a big risk (and our clients too) in these early days of Power BI development. We are banking on Microsoft providing a consistent pricing and product framework that is workable in our markets. 

But so far, having provided the excellent but limited Power BI Embedded service, in the last six months you have brought uncertainty into this market by announcing its ending and then providing the P1 Premium model as a replacement which is completely uneconomical. Effectively, you killed the market.

Then you realised your mistake and promised the EM range of product & pricing - with EM1 still very expensive for most developers (but possible for a few of them). Months later, EM1 is still not available and no information as to when it will be available. 

Now it feels like the rules are changing again. We really need a simple answer from Microsoft - as a small developer, will I be able to buy EM1 at $7,500/year (ie $625/month) or not? And when?

We are small developers: individually, we don't provide Microsoft with much revenue, but we are many. And a few of us may grow into larger companies. We, here on this forum, are the vanguard - get it right for us, and many others will follow, and you'll have a profitable small developer market. Get it wrong and Power BI will be just another 'nice-to-have' Microsoft Office product sitting alongside Word, PowerPoint and Excel. 

Power BI Team

EM3 and P1 can now be bought on a month-to-month basis. Em1 and EM2 are only available through VL as you mentioned. Other than that, we are examining additional solutions to introduce EM1/2 through webdirect. We will be able to share more detials on that within a few weeks.

Sorry for the incoveniance, but be sure we are working to make the solution fit your needs as much as we can

In the absence of any clear direction from Microsoft on when EM1 will actually be available via "web direct" purchases... I suggest that it might be worth taking a look at TIBCO Jaspersoft 6. It seems like can be licensed on an hourly basis running on AWS infrastructure. It might be worth lobbying TIBCO to see if they would be able to offer their product on Microsoft Azure if you don't want the complexity of managing two different cloud platforms.

Hi @jimmcslim - been onto their website. Alas, can't see any prices, so I'm passing on that. If Power BI doesn't work out, I might look again as well as QlikView and Tableau. Do you know the relative costs vs Power BI?

Hi @belvoir, take a look at: https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B01BUD6LAI This will show you the hourly costs for Tibco Jaspersoft on AWS.

@JimN & @belvoir

At this point we have decided that putting all of our egg's in Microsoft's basket is unwise. We decided to take a modular approach with our product where we will allow integration with multiple BI vendors.

Perhaps we could approach Jaspersoft with an unified front?

Best Regards,

P.

[ Edited ]

@avive

I cannot speak for others here, but Microsoft has failed us not once or twice. In fact not even trice. I lost count at this point of how many times Microsoft has failed to deliver on their promise -- but it is easily over five.

So when you tell me that Microsoft has our best interest in mind -- forgive me that at this point I find it hard to believe. As the CTO of a start-up, what I see is a vendor that keeps over-promising and going back on their word -- repeatedly. It is pathological.

At this point I feel all of these delays are intentional as Microsoft might be trying to work different angles to try to get more margin in detriment to us -- the small guys. I reckon this is why Microsoft has underhandedly pulled on another promise. Why else would Microsoft offer EM1 only to customers that have an Enterprise Agreement (an agreement that targets large organizations that have 500 or more personal computers)?

Regular Visitor

We had the opportunity to introduce Power Bi to 300 different manufacturers through one embedded service.  But it now appears that option is off the table and we'll need to find different solutions to data delivery.  And we look like fools to our clients because we got them interested in the "old" embedded pricing and now have to back out of those agreements.   Not good.

Regular Visitor

Any updates on any power bi embedded solutions without having to pay $5k per month for dedicated capacity that we don't want?