Regular Visitor

Re: Power BI Embedded vs Premium: Clarifications

[ Edited ]

Nice write up @belvoir.  I'm hoping that your comment about Microsoft not realizing the impact this has on ISVs is correct instead of thinking that they do understand and just don't care.  

Hi nicksav,

Sorry for confusion...
I knew that something was wrong with the Azure Portal process... so I thought the F*** with this approach, I decided to give it one last shot though using "back stage door" instead of "main Azure Portal lobby" - so to speak. So I basically used practically the same Azure CLI 1.0 approach as Jon Gallant described in his blog

http://blog.jongallant.com/2017/01/create-powerbi-embedded-workspace-collection-with-azure-cli-1-0/

and was able to come up with something.

Workspace.png

Finaaaally.
So I guess option B worked in my case. Anyway I hope this may help others who experienced the same advertising stunt issue.... Smiley Happy

@tazmon95 I do think they are listening. They responded to us initially when the entry price was $5000 per month. Now it is $625 - I think there is still a need for a lower value solution without comprising the Power BI Pro licence.

The problem being one of the largest companies in the world is that it's hard to see the little guy. A bit like an elephant noticing an ant. 

And because they have to think globally and on such a large scale, they rightly have to be cautious about getting the market offering right. 

I have a hunch that Microsoft is afraid enterprise businesses may want to use a thin wrapper of code around PBI dashboards to use embedded licensing and save big bucks. In the process they've botched their ISV pricing structure. It feels like the Microsoft of old days came back in a vengeance to ruin one of New Microsoft's greatest accomplishments.

Question: I looked around but couldn't confirm whether Power BI Premium E plans include Power BI Report Server. Does anyone know for sure?

This pricing change didn't just mess with ISVs, it also completely ignored small businesses that may want PBI on premises. Architectural decisions should be divorced from pricing/licensing ones, Why are SMEs effectively forced into the cloud? PBI RS should not be tied to Premium, it needs an inexpensive server license plus user CALs at PBI Pro price (just PBI Pro really, don't make it more complicated with a separate on prem user CAL). Cap PBI RS SMB to 400 users or something, at the transition point with Premium (which by then comes with extras anyway).

This now makes Tableau easier to ramp into, thanks to their new pricing introduced in April *before* PBI changes where dumped on us. This is completely backwards from just three months ago. Because of this a customer of mine is now considering migrating to Tableau a PBI project we're in the process of completing. I'm sure they're not the only one.

See how Tableau pitches their pricing: "easily get started - scale as your needs grow, never any hidden costs." 1 Tableau Desktop Pro license + 1 Tableau Server licence (on-prem or public cloud, your choice) = $105/mo entry point for on-prem solution.

This feels like such an unforced error by Microsoft, right when it looks like they were about to corner Tableau.

@otravers Power BI Report Server is available in Power BI Premium but only from P1 ($5,000 pcm) tier upwards. Your point about an inexpensive licence for RS is spot on, and mirrors the arguments regarding the entry prices for Premium as a whole.

Your point about the Tableau Server being On-Premises is a good one, and at $70pcm compared to P1 Premium, that's a clear choice if you absolutely don't want to publish into the cloud. However, if you had 20 Tableau users at $35/month + 1 x $70/pcm Server = $770/month compared to 20 Power BI users at $200/month, you might relent....!

@belvoir would you happen to have an official link that explicitly states the RS availability only from P1. I believe you but I need to CMA on this one Smiley Happy

Obviously Tableau remains significantly more expensive vs. scenarios where PBI Pro is just fine. But "put all your sentitive data in the cloud" remains a tough sell in some accounts. Whether these companies have better on premises data security might be dubious, but that's besides the point, a BI consultant rarely has the clout to force such architectural decisions on IT and upper management.

@otravers - it was detailed in the white paper "Embedded Analytics Capacity Planning Power BI" by Aviv Ezrachi, Senior PM at Microsoft. You can read it here - http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/E/A/CEAEED82-1A61-4104-B291-AD12A34920FB/Embedded%20Analyti...

If you go to the table on the last page, the footnote 2 (for EM1, EM2 and EM3) says, of these tiers: "Only allows consumption through embedded APIs and controls. Power BI Report Server not included."

Therefore the entry point for the Report Server is P1. Unless Microsoft have changed tack..? Can anyone out there from Microsoft confirm this?

There has been a Technical White Paper by Chris Webb and Melissa Coates just produced. It doesn't mention the starting point though - see https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2017/06/20/white-paper-on-planning-a-power-bi-enterprise-deployment/

The calculator at https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/calculator/ still doesn't mention EM1 to EM3, and you can't buy it, so I'm guessing this is all still up in the air.

Hope that helps you form a view. 

On your security point, the weakness of the cloud is users leaving their laptops or mobile phones unattended and logged into the service, using easy-to-guess passwords, sharing logins, etc. From an IT department perspective, at least if it is behind a hardware firewall, you can manage the risk better. (I'm no IT security guy though!)

Regular Visitor

Why not give an option to pay 10$ per user for saas companies to embed Power bi? This is easier to charge to their clients!
Regular Visitor

I have plenty small businesses sitting there waiting for me to give them advice on PowerBI and they are eager to start implementing it and using it in their organization. The only thing holding me, and them, back is the new pricing regime, and I feel so lucky that I did not learn this product earlier and started advising my customers to move on it.

Get your act together Microsoft, for every hour that passes you are now destroying what was once the great PowerBI-revolution. I hope someone gets fired for this horrible move you've made, this could have been foreseen and I feel sorry for the people I read about on these forums who have started selling the product to customers and now have their reputation ruined.

Shame on you.

[ Edited ]

@avive

Well... Add me to the list of angry customers Smiley Sad

It is now August. I went into the portal.office.com looking for the cheap Power BI Premium SKU -- the one that we were told that would be made available in July, for about 600 USD/EUR a month -- and I CANNOT FIND IT.

Where is it?

Why Is Microsoft is making this so hard for us?