Re: Power BI Embedded vs Premium: Clarifications

RE: In the bottom of the doc page there is still a small link. I guess it will be available until the 1st of July 2018...

Hmm I truely wish what you said was true in all cases... unfortunetaly I'm afraid your statement doesn't apply to all cases..
I agree that if you had previously created Workspace Collections - Workspaces as Power BI Embedded resources on Azure Portal account then you should be able to manage those till July 2018. Thhis may explain why you see the link...

However that doesn't refer exactly to the statement I cited before... that is... if you needed to CREATE new Workspace Collections that won't be possible.

So IOW if you have no exisiting Workspace Collections created on a specific Azure Portal account...  or you simply decided to delete those [hey a lot of devs happen to clean up their stuff after demos you know... Smiley Wink] then I'm afraid you won't be able to create NEW ones... 

so if I look on an Azure Portal account I used for demos and search for WorkSpace Collections... That's what I end up with
NoWorkspace.png
So let's see click on Create BI workspace collections button and see what happens... It redirects me to same last Blade panel I was referring to... Sorry no link... 
PBIEmbed.png
I've checked and any of Learn more nor Get some hands-on experience with Power BI - Report Embed sample links
allowed me to get to display the form blade I wanted allowing me to create a new Power BI workspace collection as previously available prior to Microsoft decision... Sorry...but I believe I'll have to chose another option in this case... but in the meantime I guess I'll give it some thought$$$...   Smiley Wink

PBICollectionForm.png

Occasional Visitor

My boss stumbled upon Power BI Embedded a few months ago as a solution to upgrading the reporting in our system, and I commented that it seems a little new, that Microsoft has a tendency to discontinue things after 2 years and you have to wait that long to see if a technology is "safe" to use. 

$650/mo is what my entire organization spends monthly on Azure PaaS hosting for our applications. Under the Power BI Embedded licensing model, our spend for reporting would have been around $50/mo and we could build in a cap/pricing model for users who wanted heavier usage. But doubling our monthly hosting cost so users can run a few reports now and is not in alignment with a cloud-based, pay-for-what-you-actually-use future. 

Frequent Visitor

[ Edited ]

Agreed, still sò ticked off! Took a strategy on Power BI because of the embedded session pay as you use structure of Power BI. Advised clients to go for Power BI because of this differentiating fact... now changed to high entry level cost barrier for embedding in the form of Premium!

We do still trust Microsoft will make availible again a low pay as you use session option for embedding in future. Otherwise we would return to Qliksense as a strategy.

Regular Visitor

[ Edited ]

@MawashiKid wrote:

RE: In the bottom of the doc page there is still a small link. I guess it will be available until the 1st of July 2018...

Hmm I truely wish what you said was true in all cases... unfortunetaly I'm afraid your statement doesn't apply to all cases..
I agree that if you had previously created Workspace Collections - Workspaces as Power BI Embedded resources on Azure Portal account then you should be able to manage those till July 2018. Thhis may explain why you see the link...

However that doesn't refer exactly to the statement I cited before... that is... if you needed to CREATE new Workspace Collections that won't be possible.

So IOW if you have no exisiting Workspace Collections created on a specific Azure Portal account...  or you simply decided to delete those [hey a lot of devs happen to clean up their stuff after demos you know... Smiley Wink] then I'm afraid you won't be able to create NEW ones... 

so if I look on an Azure Portal account I used for demos and search for WorkSpace Collections... That's what I end up with
NoWorkspace.png
So let's see click on Create BI workspace collections button and see what happens... It redirects me to same last Blade panel I was referring to... Sorry no link... 
PBIEmbed.png
I've checked and any of Learn more nor Get some hands-on experience with Power BI - Report Embed sample links
allowed me to get to display the form blade I wanted allowing me to create a new Power BI workspace collection as previously available prior to Microsoft decision... Sorry...but I believe I'll have to chose another option in this case... but in the meantime I guess I'll give it some thought$$$...   Smiley Wink

PBICollectionForm.png

So, dont have this link? Because I have just created one

6-28-2017 9-06-04 AM.png

Regular Visitor

What we have decided for now is just to continue using the existing offering. In parallel we have started two initiative - first to check the new Power BI Premium. It looks like docs still missing for some of the core concepts like RLS and how we would manage different customers with different reports. Also we grabed the old project from Microsoft when visuals were opened and started playing in getting existing Power BI books and basically doing our own Power BI service. I know its a bit unrealistic, but guys who knows, may be they will rise price next year to 5k/month. 

Regular Visitor

@avive  I'm adding my voice to this group as someone who feels completely betrayed by Microsoft with this change from Embedded to Premium with a minimum entry point of $625 per month for a capability level that's a complete joke.  

In my mind, the best thing MS could do now would be to have two offerings.  One as the current premium plan which works great for Enterprise organizations.  The other would be a pay-as-you-go use tier based upon compute and data transfer which would be good for Small Businesses or consultants.  In this way someone can start small and as fees climb to be equal with Premium, then it would make sense to convert.

To me this change is like a complete reversal from the previous marketing plan power BI has had since it was released.  

One more thing, Microsoft really needs to improve their change control process.  As has happened many times before, this change can cause significant disruption to your customers.  It does for me... I have 5 clients I've been guiding towards Azure Embedded since they would pay for what was used and can control costs.  The new minimum cost makes embedded reports for their use cases completely inaccessible.  

Regular Visitor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for this question and reply, great info on Power BI Embedded SKU's to be added. Will be interesting to see the services associated to the SKU's. I would like a clarification. In reading Adam Saxton's post on the Power BI REST API , it refers to two types of REST API services. The first being where the end user consuming the embedded content has a Power BI Pro accounts & the other where the end user does not even need a Power BI account (the legacy Azure Power BI Embedded feature).

The point of Azure Power BI Embedded moving to Premium with the various SKU's is clear.

What is not clear for me is, embedded capability for users with Pro accounts? Is Premium required to for these users to access Power BI REST API embedded content? At first I would think the answer is no, but in reading Adam's post it says "Once your end user signs in, they will only have access to dashboards and reports that have been shared with them in the Power BI service". I am interpreting 'shared with them' as content that was deployed to a 'My Workspace' and then manually shared with the Pro user, but it is not clear if the Pro user in a non-Premium envionment would be able to access content deployed to a Group Workspace?

Sorry about the confusion on the doc you linked. I'm still working through a backlog of updates. to those. Hopefully, will be done this week. Essentially, there is only one API you need to use regardless of embedding for Power BI users, or Non-Power BI users (through the embed token). You just need to handle the authentication along with the embed code. 

Today, you can access the REST APIs with only a Pro account. When moving to production, you will want to back the workspace with a Premium capacity node. This is to increase the API limits that are referenced in the Premium documentation.

If you are going to be embedding to non-Power BI users (through the embed token), you will have to have your content in an app workspace, and the account you are using to access the content has to be an admin of that app workspace.

Does that clear it up @emmet63?

Adam W. Saxton | Microsoft Employee | Business Intelligence
@GuyInACube | youtube.com/guyinacube
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the reply @GuyInACube. It is still not 100% clear.

When you say "Today, you can access the REST APIs with only a Pro account. When moving to production, you will want to back the workspace with a Premium capacity node." is this a suggestion or a requiremnet?

Does where the content is deployed to make a difference? From reading the document you linked to, content in the deployed to the report authors My Workspace and shared via the creation of a Dashboard not on Premium, but when deploying content to a Group Workspace, it must be on Premium to be consumed?

@tazmon95 - I don't think Microsoft have realised that there are quite a lot of ISVs who have developed solutions for small groups of clients. 

I have written up a summary and critique of the current Premium offering for ISVs at - http://www.insightsintobusiness.co.uk/blog