Regular Visitor

Re: Power BI Embedded vs Premium: Clarifications

[ Edited ]

Such a stupid move....

Power BI was well received by all sort of developers. You could build a small app, add easily analytics to it and that's done. App is growing, users base is growing, sessions are growing, money is coming - perfect. Now, I have to shut down all my apps I have built for Customers. Thank you Microsoft, thank you again. Better next time,  you don't come up with a great product, get people to use it a love and after ruin it. 

Regular Visitor

They announced new Power BI Premium entry-prices yesterday! It is starting from $625. Great news!

Regular Visitor

Again,

Case: I have a very small web app wich has couple reports embedded for the Customer. Just couple reports to complement their small legacy application. Their monthly usage is about $30-$40. They don't need more. Small company, small application. For the last year I have built around 40 apps for customers just like this - get an old legacy app, convert it to .net, host on azure, embed couple nice reports - sold. What I have to tell them now? Sorry guys, now its 600/m for your little app?

Regular Visitor

[ Edited ]

Another questions is - I am basically have a workspace per Customer. Some of my Cusotmers share the same report, but I deploying that report using REST api and powershell. I can deploy one report just to many Workspaces. Is that api still available? To provision workspaces, creating reports/uploading/updating reports? I can't find any info anywhere...

Regular Visitor

nicksav, I have the same situation with a small customer - 600 euros/month is way too much.

For me the problem with this change is that previously Power BI was positioned an easy, fast and cost effective way how to get a analytics capability for a small/medium application. It was quite clear, that SME/ISV's were a primary target for the tool. Now with this sudden update, ISV's are discarded.

Ok, the kinda "good news" here is, that

1) there is almost 1 year (until 2018. 1st of June) when "old" way can be used

2) at least for some part of small solutions it might be possible to grow to this 600 euros/month level during this year.

3) this year gives some time/space for less painful migration (but it's still pain to discard our investment and enthusiasm we had for Power BI)

But I think this is really serious mistake on Microsoft side - Power BI was a great attractor for developer community. Plus I don't get the idea why it is not possible to lower the entry point for small time users.

Why azure services can have a very friendly entry points, but Power BI embedded can not? I would not have an issue paying X if I consume that much of a recources (then it would not be a problem for a customer to pay this X+ price)

Regular Visitor

I just don't understand why to change something that it is working very well. You want Large Enterprises to have their own dedicated resources - no problem, do it as extra, but leave to small players something to work with. By the end of the day you will get the same money of even more by increasing the nuber of those small players + developers, developers, developers. Is that so simple, uh?

Frequent Visitor

[ Edited ]

Yes, but "For testing and deployment, Power BI Premium must be acquired."

Source: https://aka.ms/pbiewhitepaper from Embed Power BI page.

More confusion?

Edit: I just understand, this is $625 entry price for Premiun, only for embedded

Regular Visitor

I was pleased to hear of the $625 pm entry point for "EM1" access announced yesterday, however (as an analyst rather than an IT professional), I am confused by the limit on "page renders" outlined in this document - http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/E/A/CEAEED82-1A61-4104-B291-AD12A34920FB/Embedded%20Analyti...

The EM1 package allows between 1-300 page renders "at peak hour"

"A page render is counted any time Power BI visuals are loaded on a page. A page refresh counts as a page render, as does any other page interactivity, like slice and dice, filtering, etc. Typically, multiple queries running on the backend cores1 translate to a page render. The load generated on the cores depends on the number of visual elements contained on a page. A typical page contains up to 10 visual elements."

Now for our uses, I was hoping this would be an alternative to purchasing pro licences for around 50 members of staff plus allow external clients access to dashboards without forcing them to sign up for their own access. I can easily forsee under this definition of a "page render" how expected staff usage would result in the limit being exceeded.

[ Edited ]

Well, that's a hidden gotcha, isn't it? 

Deciding to limit it to 300 per hour and including a 'render' every time a slicer is used, well that means that EM1 is only of use for a small number of users - or for very static dashboards. 

So that means moving up to EM2 at twice the price - in the UK, around £1000 per month. That swallows 40% of our revenue, and we have to develop the product and then support it. 

Very disappointing, and pricing Power BI out of the SME developer market. We shall now have to re-think our model. 

Frequent Visitor

I understand that the document refers to 300 queries at a peak hour to determine the necessary capacity, not as a limitation