Occasional Visitor

Re: Power BI Embedded vs Premium: Clarifications

My Organization loves Power BI and we bundle it with all of our BI Solutions. We're HUGE fans and this is not a complaint. However, this move to premium is very much geared towards large organizations and the complaints against the PBI embedded payment structure.

What I'm hoping for or looking for some indication that it's coming, is a solution for small to medium size businesses. I'm talking about those organizations that will only have 5-10 power users that really need all the Power BI Pro capabilities (modeling, building, etc...) and another 50-200 emplyees that will really only be consuming the reports and dashboards built i.e. read only. As an organization that has implimented Power BI in a lot of small and medium size businesses, a READ/VIEW ONLY license at a lower cost would have these companies lining up to buy Power BI overnight.

As it stands, $5k starting point for Premium makes the break even point for Power BI Pro at or around 400-450 users.  Small to medium size companies more often than not do not even have that many employees and probably don't have the budget for $4k/month for licenses.

@elitras - Microsoft confirmed on a webinar a couple of days ago that there will be three extra price points for Premium. Somewhere on this community site, a staff member mentioned entry level of around $650/month.

Quite a few people have made similar comments to you (including myself) and I do think that Microsoft is listening to that. I believe they are now building a new calculator tool plus I would imagine running it the new pricing through their business model and getting some senior guys & gals to sign it off, hopefully!

Frequent Visitor

[ Edited ]

We are in the process (and have been for a couple of months) of selecting a BI / Reporting vendor and MSFT has been completetly bonkers.  Impossible to speak with, seemingly very discorganized on pricing and promised information the forst week of June and we are still waiting.  We have a free year with Sisense and far more reasonable starting cost plans with other vendors, and frankly cant wait much longer for MSFT to get things in order.  How long is this going to take, the BI site is s mess, and sends people in an infinte loop (pun intended i suppose) trying to figure out pricing.  Go read the "embedded " product page, if you dont work at MSFT, it makes absolutely no sense...

We are a small comapny and want to embed dashboards and drillable reports into our product but cant deal with user license issues, not a 5K pricetag, we dont pay that much to run our entire platform in azure  and office rent combined!

MSFT needs entry level pricing that scales with use, but not based on sessions, or we need to look at other vendors instead and soon.

Frequent Visitor

Hello

This sounds good, but a few questions.

1) with our app that we want to embed contenet in is built in azure, is this 650$ approach correct for us?

2) What do you reccomend we do until this account level is available?  Are we able to get started?

3) how would we determine when we have outgorwn the 650$ tier and need to graduate to a more expensive one?

Thannks

Craig

Super User

@cchaynes I don't quite know how you answered your own question on this thread, the price point you state isn't confirmed yet either. I am assuming that all these questions get answers next week at the Data Insights Summit, so pay close attention early next week. Frankly, I'll be completely baffled if we don't get clarity in those two days.

Your approach for embedding will be the same for any application. The mass confusion is due to combining the external facing and internal embedding. It will be/is the same and that message I expect to come with the price. There also was a webinar a couple weeks ago that you will find very insightful if you haven't seen it yet.

Near SE WI? Join our PUG MSBIWI
Frequent Visitor

I suppose i just happened to start looking at PBI whilst they are in the midst of a product overhaul, but I was told by MSFT on a phonecall that pricing was being relesed June 1, I have followed-up but have yet to receive a reply.  Next week is soon enough at this point, but for a product of this size at a company of this size, this degree of product confusion is unaceptable. 

Microsoft quotes from my exchanges so far.

"Dont pay nay attention to the pricing on our website its wrong"

"We dont have any idea what the new pricing will look like"

in response to the question, how many verisons of the PBI product are there.

"i dont know"

Is the Embedded product being discontinued?

"maybe but not completely"

None of this is in any way helpful and instills little confidence.  We would have moved on to another vendor by now had we not developed our product in Azure, and aslo because our customer base is comfortable with MSFT.

If they are unabel to give us a proper pricing quote by middle of June, we will be moving on.

Frequent Visitor

I just started my own company, and put all my bets on Power BI, in hope that Embedded would be nice and affordable solution for small to medium companies in Brazil. Already got a lot of leads and one or two willing to close.

So how's this? Microsoft just change their offering, no early notifications, no email (I just "discovered" this change in Azure notification, and maybe that's enough in MS assumptions...) and Puff! I was planning charging around R$ 150,00 (aprox. 45 USD), but now our costs SUDDENLY will rise to USD 5K (maybe, unnofficial, not confirmed 650 USD), that's around R$ 16 K for a small/medium company in Brazil? Not, i don't think so...

Sorry about my message, didn't want to look rude, but this is such an unrespectful move coming from such a big company. As mentioned here, players already on the market will do fine, but startups as mine will be turned to dust if we don't do something NOW.

I'll be using Embedded until it disappears and I find another provider... I'm very disappointed and frustated, because I had very good impressions about Power BI...

Regular Visitor

[ Edited ]

We really need more clarifications about the Power BI Embedded cost structure. I am just not able to find the right pricing-information.

Based on the first pages of this topic, Power BI Embedded can only be used when you have purchased Power BI Premium (starting from $5000 p/m). Based on some, not confirmed replies, there wll be a lower entry price for Power BI Embedded.

Currently the cost structure should have been changed , becasuse it's june already. But when I take a look at the pricing page they are still not changed yet? https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/power-bi-embedded/?v=17.23h

Frequent Visitor

Currently looking at powerBI alternatives, feel free to suggest... Anyone use Grow?

Until msft removes their heads from their asses on this product, we need SMB alternatives...
Frequent Visitor

I'm looking into building my own data analytics... Honestly, if we had to rely on Azure to develop real time solutions (with DirectQuery) and to enhace its performance, we had to optimize Azure database (indexing, etc), then there's no point in using Power BI query editor.

It was taking an unacceptable time to load all table rows inside the tool to then begin processing, and maybe that's an issue Microsoft executives are trying to address: with a super power server, capable of working with zillions of rows, but that comes with higher costs, also.

So, inside the server itself it's possible to handle data transformation, with better results. And we could output the result into some charts... I'm testing Google Charts (https://developers.google.com/chart/). I don't know, but at first glance they look pretty stable and can supply most dashboards needs... Sometimes, even better than Power BI (Forget about Bing, we're talking with the pioneers of mapping, Google Maps).

I'm not sure if this will work well. If you have opinions, disagreements, concerns, I would be very happy to acknowledge them...

And I hope this post won't make PBI team mad!! Maybe a little, so they can think about small time players like me...

Best regards,