Re: Power BI Embedded vs Premium: Clarifications

[ Edited ]

Hi Aviv,

Thank you for the points you have raised, and I agree with all of them!

I wrote this post BEFORE the office hours, which I participated on. Things made more sense after we spoke on the office hours. As for the cheaper SKU, I never wrote back on this post about it because those of us in the office hours were told about it under a NDA -- so I reckon I would be out of my place to mention it in a public community. Smiley Wink

I am excited about the new Power BI premium and the lower SKU sounds quite reasonable to us. I hope we get big enough to even justify a larger month SKU! Smiley Happy

Thanks again, and all the best.

Regards,
P.

@avive - great to see Microsoft starting to respond on these points. I'd like to add another request, if I may: you're clearly addressing the need for lower price entry points below $5k/month - and that's great to see. However, there is a use case where the jump from $5k/month to $10k/month may cause problems in a production environment when you're operating on tight margins. That doubles the licensing costs of any business model but it is impossible to recover when you have a lot of customers except by selling a lot more. 

Therefore, could we have an intermediate step at $7.5k/month? That will enable a smooth transition up through the price points. It would also benefit Microsoft as we would be less likely to hold our subscription at $5k/month until the last possible moment (when service has really degraded).

Regular Visitor

Just to weigh in further. 

As I mentioned in my post - I like the concept here. My concern is with price elasticity, which is a principal benefit of cloud computing. 

$650 would work for us. We are an established ISV with a number of customers already. I am quite happy to pay for the service provided I can bundle it into my price. We are leveraging these features for commercial use and we certainly should pay for them. I would like to see fine elasticity so that our cost grows as a linear function to our usage - not in "steps".

My other BIG concern is for new ISVs. If we want these folks, just starting out, to take a dependency on Power BI embedded, I'd like to see some sort of "dev only" mode, that costs very littel while the product is being built. When the ISV can bring customers on board is when it's time to recoup some of that investment. I think that $650 a month will be too steep for an ISV that is just getting into this. 

Yes, I have to agree. Finer price granularity at the bottom end will encourage very small developers to produce content. There is of course a balance to be found between Power BI Pro and Premium -- though I would suggest some overlap would be welcome.

Power BI Team

Finer price granularity could be atained by combining capacities of various sizes, so for teh example were an ISV has a P1 capacity, and then believes all they need is another small addition to capacity, they would purchase an EM1 and move/add customers to the new capacity. This will be a smaller intermediate step.

The non ideal part of this is that in June we are still missing auto elasticity and auto load balancing, but this is part of the things we will try to solve in the future.

Power BI Team

Sorry for the multi replies... now trying to address the BIG concern for new ISVslooking for a "dev only" mode.

Appologies if this was not clear till now, we will post a blog to talk about this some more soon, but this is not a problem at all, with a Pro license you are allowed to build/dev/test/demo a full E2E Embedded solution with light multiplexing (using embed token to test report access for non PBI users). When your ready to promote your solution to production, it is mandatory that you purchase a Premium capacity, starting at $650.

Frequent Visitor

I fully agree again with diverdown.

@aviveglad you're listening for feedback. About my case study of single person dev/consultant (LOB apps for small customers sometimes interested in few simple reports): now I have an opprtunity with two bigger companies, interested in one or two (yes: 1-2) simple reports for a couple of users. I know we have to invest to let business grow but 8k/year would still be too much for starting with 2 reports/2 users. Asking them to subscribe PBI Pro would be quite embarassing IMHO, and although they are quite rich companies I can't ask too much for this very simple use case. By the way they're using different BI platforms now.

About build/dev/test/demo allowed with PRO license: it's a very nice feature, convenient for us, thanks for this. But here I don't need to much time to develop my solution (one MVC site with AAD + two reports) so I'd have to start with 8k/year.

I hope there will be a more elastic approach, although unfortunately I've to decide now...

Regular Visitor

[ Edited ]

That is exactly my case... I have implemented my solution using Power BI Embedded, got my first customer and according to their usage rate it is 20-30 euros/monthly for power bi report sessions. If the lower end is 650 dollars per month, that just means I have lost my time with Power BI - I can not in the nearest future "jump" into 650 euros/dollars per month costs. That is >20x more than my current payload.

And I believe, that many new ISV's will skip Power BI just because there is no entry level pricing.

I am currently strongy relying on Azure resources, if Azure will do something similar to other resources I'm using, I'll just have to close my small company Smiley Sad

The whole idea (as I understand it) of cload services is that you can scale - pay for what you use. So - in the beginning I can a lot of great stuff, but since I'm using just a small amount of resources, I pay a small sum. I don't need 10Tbytes (or what ever), I'm using less than 100Mb... so the price for my ISV is ~650 euros/month although I'm using a very small amount of what's provided.

Please keep Report sessions or something like that, so companies like mine can still use Power BI embedded!

Regular Visitor

@avive Hi, ~ 650 euro/month pricetag is way too high for a small solution. My payload currently is around 1000 report sessions per month (which would be 20-30 euros/month), with this change, price for my customer skyrockets 20x... I counted on this model (it was not so long ago started), already have discussed/agreed on that with customer, I don't believe there is a way how I could "sell" them the idea that from now on they will have to pay 20x more...

P.S. I understand that Microsoft is a big company and most likely there will be no change, if there is such a decision (faulty to my understanding) made, so I guess I have to quickly find out a different reporting options (and scrap my power bi investment, which is sad, because I really liked power bi), but the question is for how long I still can use the previous report session mode (my solution is already in production)?

Frequent Visitor

Hello avive, could you please clarify the following?

I am trying to determine if the new PBI Embedded Premium SKUs will support the On-Premises Gateway and more specifically, DirectQuery against SSAS Multidimensional cubes. If so, what is the ETA?

Thanks in advance.