Regular Visitor

Re: Power BI Embedded vs Premium: Clarifications

@avive Thank you for jumping in and trying to help clarify this for your users.  I have a scenario I'd like your help in understanding my options.

I run a small consulting team who helps other small businesses (< 10 people) build an analytics process.  I do this by having these organizations sign everyone up for Pro accounts.  I have a few clients who create reports for their clients and would like to be able to move to Power BI as a way of sharing reports with their clients.  The use of these reports will be minimal, (2 or 3 people a few times a month).  Originally I was going to use the Embedded service on Azure to provide this capacity and we pay for what's used.  Now, I'm not clear on if this will work with the $625 a month plan (cheapest) or if we would need a $5000 a month plan.  Both options are completely outside of reasonable expectations.  

I'm wondering if I'm just not understanding this and I can meet the need of letting my clients create reports and securly share them with their customers at a reasonable cost?  

Power BI Team

AFAIK there is a plan to introduce a feature for Power BI that should solve your scenario, With this feature a Power BI PRO user can share reports with other Power BI PRO user from a different tenant. Adding @AdamWilson to confirm

Power BI Team

We support sharing dashboards to external users.  Keep in mind that Pro user licenses are required for both the sharer and the recipient.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-share-unshare-dashboard/#share-a-d...

Visitor

Hi @avive,

August 2017 has now passed. To reference the following statement i couple of posts back; "Please note that availability of EM1 and EM2 in web-direct has been delayed, we are working to confirm a new timeline. We will provide an update by the end of August.". Could someone please provide information to where this update regarding EM1 and EM2 timeline/availability can be found (as I have been unable to locate it)?

The last couple of months there have been a number of declared timelines, mixed messages and in general unclear details regarding some of the specifics of various Power BI offerings. What we, as a customer, need now is clear communicated timelines so that we can take concrete actions if and how to use the product.

Best regards

Power BI Team

You are 100% right, we did not finalize our comunication plan and therefor you did not hear anything formal yet. Hope its not too much to ask to wait a week or two more, if it is, you are welcome to send me your mail in a personal message and I will setup a call with you to further discuss

Regular Visitor

Hi @avive, I have a number of customers who have been waiting for these SKUs since July... It is not possible to do any business based on Microsoft's promises... Can you confirm, you'll definitely provide committed release dates by September 15th? Thanks.

Regular Visitor

@AdamWilson & @avive, Thank you for your responses.  You are correct, this does solve my use case and makes a lot of sense for people in similar situations.  I am perfectly fine with telling my customers to have their customers purchase Pro Accounts to enable sharing and I think this fills in the gap left by ending the Azure Power BI Embedded plan when the 3 main Premium plans came out. 

Thanks,

John

Regular Visitor

[ Edited ]

MSFT, when we will be able to programattically create app workspaces? we have SAAS and I need to provision the workspace for each Customer. There is no API to do so now, only read groups. Any idea?

Sorry, I guess this is it? - https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-CSharp/blob/master/sdk/PowerBI.Api/Source/V2/GroupsExtensions.c...

Thanks

Nick

RE: Need to create Workspace...there's no API to do so...
Please refer to this post...
http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Developer/Issue-with-missing-Azure-configuration-screen-Power-BI-Emb... -
[scroll down to last bottom reply...]
This may work as a temporary solution though I wouldn't recommend it for any further long time project. Sooner or later I'm afraid you'll have no choice but to move out any existing Workspace Collections - Workspace furnitures!...
Frequent Visitor

Hi all,

For my own sanity, is this correct :

EM SKUs are for embedding only

P (premium) SKUs are for internal usage

So, if we bought an EM1 SKU, we could not utilise this SKU for internal purposes, to allow everyone in our organisation access to reports without pro licences?

Thanks

Darran