Accepted Solution

Power BI Embedded vs Premium: Clarifications

[ Edited ]

About Power BI Premium, I'd like a few clarifications and I am sure other members of this community would like those as well. I asked this question in the May 3 announcement post but since the moderators are yet to authorise my post, I decided to ask to the wider community.

Moving forward Power BI Premium will be the way for us to get Power BI functionality embedded into our SaaS applications, right?

I read that Power BI Premium will have support for on-premise gateway, which has been promised for months for Power BI Embedded. I am assuming that while existing Power BI Embedded deployments will keep being supported, this does not mean that will get support for on-premise data, since Microsoft would expect us to move to Power BI Premium. Can someone please confirm?

I did a calculation using the pricing calculator and the SKU for Power BI Premium starts at ALMOST 5,000 (five thousand) dollars a month -- which is a significant increase (I'd say prohibitive) when comparing to Power BI Embedded.

So to sum up (and please correct me if I am wrong), for those of us who have been waiting over a year to get Power BI Embedded finally working with on-premise data, am I right to say that if we want such feature moving forward, we will have to get into Power BI Premium paying at least 5,000 (FIVE THOUSAND) dollars a month (give or take)?

UPDATE: There is a good article explaining the diferences between Premium and Embedded SKUs which can be found here.

Accepted Solutions

Re: Power BI Embedded vs Premium: Clarifications

[ Edited ]

@avive

Great to see that Power BI is now in Azure. It is certainly easier for us to work with Azure than with Office 365.

However, wile before I had a couple of questions about how Power BI Premium would work -- now I have like 10+ questions.

Embedded or Premium - So is it fair to say (although I might be over-simplyfing here), that Power BI Embedded in Azure is the Azure implementation of Power BI Premium, while Premium is the O365 counterpart? So, in a way, PBI embedded is back? 😕😕

- ANSWER: There is a good post about the differences between Premium and Embedded here.

Gateway - How do we get the Power BI gateway to work with the new Power BI Embedded in Azure?

- ANSWER: The gateway works as it works with PowerBI.com. What we do is configure a workspace to use the dedicated capacity of PBI Premium or Embedded.

Roles and Row-based Level Security - I need to understand how these would work with Power BI Pro/Premium/Embedded. In particular I have recently noticed that when customising roles for a Tabular Model in Visual Studio, we can now add 'external users'. So I'd like to understand if it would work to  pass an user id of john.doe@some-external-customer-domain.com (providing this external user is added into the tabular model).

- ANSWER: This is quite a topic. I got this working fine. You can do user mappings and all sorts of stuff.

Azure or O364 - Even though I watched the office hours video, it is still not clear to me (beyond a marketing pitch) on the practical differences between using Power BI in Azure or in O365. In fact we managed to embedded reports at the point using O365 pro only. So it would be great if we could talk with someone at Microsoft how could answer some questions around this objectively.

- ANSWER: See the article here.

DirectQuery - I have noticed that A1, A2 and A3 are being listed as not supporting DirectQuery. If that is the case, then then this will be a serious show stopper to many uf us here.

I might follow up via email.

Best Regards & Gmar Chatimah Tova!

P.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Regular Visitor

I've been waiting for this feature too (or anything that will allow secure embedded reports running from a SASS tabular source (wether on-prem or azure).

My take is the same as yours, that this long awaited feature set has a VERY steep adoption cost.  The trade off of using (immature) power BI visuals, but with a very inexpensive cost of entry just got turned on its head.  This seems very good news for Tableau and qlikview .

I gotta be honest...

I posted this question here, and the post was (until now) not authorised. Seems to me that the moderators consider my question to be, somehow, inconvenient.

The community on Yammer also seem uneasy with this price-hike.

And what you said about Tableau and Qlikview is SPOT-ON -- if they are smart enough to seize on the opoprtunity, but I don't think they will be.

Regards,

P.

Frequent Visitor

Power BI Embedded contained the most restricted features of all Power BI options, but with a distribution model targeted specifically at ISVs with external users. Premium is targeted to enterprises with needs for internal, enterprise features like on premisis, collaboration, apps, and increased capacity. Bundling Embedded exclusively with Premium forces ISVs to buy a product meant for enterprises. (Or abandons the ISV market segment.) It's very frustrating to dedicate so much time and effort championing and evangilizing Power BI, only to be abandoned by it.

Power BI Team

Hi Pedro,

Allow me to first correct you about one thing please, we are going to have lower entry levels to the Embedded Primium SKUs, starting at ~$650/month.

But I believe this is not only that, and I feel I should elaborate more on the 'why' instead of 'what' we are doing.

When we had PBIE released last July we started collecting feedback from the field, including yourself, we constructed the list of top customer pains and put our focus on solving those specifically. The top 3 were

1. PBIE doesnt include all features as found in PowerBI.com

2. Its confusing to have 2 API surfaces with 2 seperate solutions, Power BI REST APIs and PBIE in Azure

3. Pricing is unpredictable when based on report loads

So why did we converge PBIE with Power BI REST APIs? to solve the bigest pain points from our customers

Why did we align the priceing model for Power BI and for PBIE, to solve the bigest pain point from our customers

Now lets get back to practicality.

In June as part of the GA of Premium we will also have a ~$2500 SKU for Embedded, in July we will have 2 more SKUs at half theis price, and quarter the price, so the minimum entry cost for an ISV is $650/month.

With this you will get all of the Power BI service features available for Embedded, and more...

Please share your feedback on the above

Regular Visitor

Hello Avive, 

Thank you for the clarification. Will you communicate this message also using the website and other communication? This entry level isn't described in the calculator for example. In my opinion adding these entry levels would make a lot of sense and would also keep the Power BI Embedded businesscase attractive for smaller companies.

Thanks in advance, 

Lars

Hi Avive, 

Re $650/month entry - this is just awesome news - I'm looking forward to the details. 

Just for others' reference - a lower price point was also mentioned by Microsoft staff on the Power BI Premium webinar today - thus confirming this. It's great to see Microsoft responding so quickly - fantastic stuff.

A similar thread at - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Moderated-Discussions/Provide-your-inputs-on-Power-BI-Enterprise-Pr...  was discussing this too - I'll post over on that.

Regular Visitor

I just threw my thoughts on this together in a blog post. THought it might be useful to post here:

https://whitepages.unlimitedviz.com/2017/05/power-bi-premium-pricing-model-good-bad-ugly/

Frequent Visitor

@aviveAbout PBI embedded in web apps: So you're confirming that definitely there won't be any "per report load" or per session pricing models? Or entry level plans with limitations? (personally, I don't need 48 daily refresh, on-premises gateways and so on...)

I'm happy that others here will be able to face a 650$ month cost, but I agree with what John says in his blog: it still would be to high for many.

Power BI Team

Confirming we are moving to the new model based on Premium capacity.

About the lower entry level - Feedback recieved, cant promise a thing at this stage