Frequent Visitor

Embedding Premium

Hi,

Does anyone know what's happening to the Embed feature when premium gets rolled out? The announcement is less than clear. 

Thanks,

Super User

Re: Embedding Premium

To the best of my knowledge, Power BI Embedded is included in Power BI Premium. Existing Power BI Embedded apps will continue to work. I also *believe* that there are plans to continue to license Power BI Embedded separately but can't be sure, is that the part that is less than clear? When I previewed the blog post prior to release, all of my feedback was around clarifying Power BI Embedded but, alas, they really did not make any edits.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Frequent Visitor

Hi @Greg_Deckler,

Exactly as you describe. It's not clear but my understanding is that the Azure API will continue for one year or the length of the EA and after that it's premium only. There's a migration document knocking around on the web somewhere.

I'm not sure if I can move our Azure sub onto our EA now or if it's already too late. That would cover us for a few years and I could at least live with that. Nobody expected it to be free or a fixed price forever.

Would help if Microsoft clarified.

Thanks
Super User

Here is my impression, and this is solely my opinion. Microsoft has not finalized details around Power BI Embedded licensing but they were under a deadline to get the announcement out prior to Tableau's Q1 2017 financial announcement so they left it purposely vague. I will say that there is a SKU in the June CSP for Power BI EM3, which I am thinking is some sort of Embedded only licensing but, again, I can't be certain.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the view @Greg_Deckler - I hope your right. Here are the two links I've seen. First says existing apps will continue to be supported;

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/microsoft-accelerates-modern-bi-adoption-with-power-bi-prem...

Second seems to suggest they will only be supported for a limited time;

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-developer-migrate-from-powerbi-embedded/

I know the graph api has moved off azure as well, so this may be similar. I'll post back here if I find anything definitive.

Best,

Frequent Visitor

Does anyone know how long after general release that PowerBI Embedded will be available in Azure?  From scouring the docs, all I'v e managed to find is that Direct/CSP get one year from general availability on PowerBI Embedded.

Does this mean I can continue provisioning NEW PowerBI Embedded Workspace Collections for the next year via my Azure account?  Or does this only apply to any existing Workspace Collections?

We are eventually going to migrate to PowerBI Premium, but are still prototyping embedded, and want to do some trial runs on several clients.  Each client is planned to have a Workspace Collection for their subset of embedded reports.  I just want to make sure I'll still be able to create new Workspace Collections for PowerBI Embedded over the next few months.