Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Changes to Power BI June-2017

Background: I use the PBI Free version. A fellow user received the below communication "Dashboard Sharing will no longer be part of Power BI free"

Issue: I am a freelance consultant and I have used Free version to convince many clients to adopt PBI.

Questions:

1) Does my client's analyst (responsibility PUBLISH DASHBOARDS) need to BUY Pro version 

2) If yes to (1), does the Reciepeint of the PUBLISHED DASHBOARD need to BUY Pro version (this wil be expensive for my cleint considering many recipients)

3) come June 2017, can PBI Desktop created in PRO be manipulated by New User using PBI FREE - (New User do not need to publish)

Malcolm

Accepted Solutions

Re: Changes to Power BI June-2017

Discussion is actively discussed in a new Forum

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Moderated-Discussions/Changes-to-Power-BI-Free-are-coming-on-June-1-...

However as of 11May 09:28HR Australian Eastern time, no reply from Microsoft on addressing issues raised by community

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super User

Essentially the functionallity of Pro and Free appears to be changing based on whether there is collaboration.  So if you are using PBI desktop to open a file and make changes, then Free is ok.  If you are uploading to your personal workspace, free is also ok.  If you want to share a dashboard, or you want to view a shared dashboard, then only PRO can access it.

There is a new license type called Premium, but its not likely what you are talking about in this case.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Based on your reply, I interprete main change is "User needs PBI Pro if they wish to continue Sharing PBI with their work colleagues".

At $9.99 / user / mth, I am concern this is

1) somewhat cost prohibitive for some fo the smaller clients..

2) requires corporate I.T. sign-off (a slow process) in large corporations

3) discourage the PBI adoption

Nevertheless thanks for the reply...

Super User

I agree with you, except for "2) requires corporate I.T. sign-off (a slow process) in large corporations".

There is a new premium offering which is designed to eliminate that specific problem.  I personally think the loss of adoption this change will cause in Small to Medium businesses will change the path of Power BI's adoption.  Microsoft had a real chance of making this product as universal as Word and Excel in the business world.  This change will mean Power BI will become a niche tool of only the enterprise market.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Super Contributor

I am sure you clients could sign up for a 60 day pro trial license to see if power bi will work for them? I hope that part isn't going away.

I think the key here is to focus on the ROI with clients,  if you can tie ROI back to the cost of Power BI that will probably help.

Thanks for suggestion. Unfortunately (for me) one of the key selling point will no longer be available in June. For customers who do not know PBI, they may be resistant to 1) engage me to build 100hrs of PBI infrastructure and 2) trying out Pro for 60d to see if they like it. I am speculating here - Will share with you how it goes come June 2017.  

Super Contributor

I think that kind of feedback is Important!

Discussion is actively discussed in a new Forum

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Moderated-Discussions/Changes-to-Power-BI-Free-are-coming-on-June-1-...

However as of 11May 09:28HR Australian Eastern time, no reply from Microsoft on addressing issues raised by community