Frequent Visitor

Re: Changes to Power BI Free are coming on June 1, 2017

Hi,

The date for the 12 month trial for PowerBI Pro was May 2nd - it's been and gone. 

The current situation is (I believe): 

• Any user can sign up, at any time, for a free trial of PowerBI Pro that will last for two months. They may be able, after two months, to extend their trial for another two months (unless Microsoft change the rules yet again). Then they have to start paying for PowerBI Pro. 
  • If you used PowerBI before May 2nd (the day before they announced stopping of open collaboration) then, around June 1st you should be able to get a 12 month trial licence (unless Microsoft change their minds before 1st June).
  • If you are not on a Pro  licence (trial or paid) on 1st June then all collaboration capability will cease

Good luck,

Andrew

mim Member

@maximus8557 the way i understand it, the offer is only valid for free users who sign before 1 June, maybe after the 1 june they get the 2 months trial

Regular Visitor

Hi @mim,

Thanks for the clarification. I registered before May 3rd and have been on Pro trial and trial extension now. Last few days, I received the 1 year trial offer in my notification center asking me to login on or after 1st June. 

So seems like even if you are on Pro trial already, you are still eligible for the 1 year offer. 

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks. 

PS: @andrewnz, LOL Smiley LOL with that Good Luck... 

mim Member

@maximus8557 That's my understanding too. 

and by the way, what was removed was sharing, PowerBI desktop is still free, if you don't need real time update of data, or RLS, there are option in the market, either totaly free or very cheap, you can check qlik cloud pro, 20 $/month unlimited sharing but with caveat, only 1 workspace and the sharing is for all the apps in that workspace, and if you have only basic charts, Google Data studio can works too.

I know it is painful but let's move on, 

Regular Visitor

I need that RLS. Its a Tabular server Enterprise level deployment.

What a pain in the ass... I just roll out some modules...
mim Member

@maximus8557 hold on, if you have software insurance you have already powerbi, everyone is happy Smiley Happy

Established Member

Am a little confused, I see information that you have to have signed in before May2, to be eligible but some of you are saying before June 1st.

I am concerned for the new subscribers(report viewers) who haven't signed on to PowerBI yet, do I urged them to sign on to PowerBI TODAY?

mim Member

I wanted just to share my experience with Data Studio as a tool to publish reports for free

https://datamonkeysite.com/2017/05/31/build-a-dashboard-using-data-studio/

it may works,if you have simple charts, and you don't required RLS

So I registered and have been using Power BI prior to the May 3 announcement. I logged in today but did not see the Extended Pro Trial offer. Based on the terms posted, I should be eligible for the extended pro trial.

Have they began sending out offers to users yet?

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-extended-pro-trial/

Regular Visitor

I log in today and nothing happen. Vietnam