Regular Visitor

Re: Changes to Power BI Free are coming on June 1, 2017

The 12 month free Pro license only covers users who had logged in prior to May 2.  I've also found out that the licenses are not transferrable.  That means that any users who hadn't logged in yet to view our dashboards (there are always stragglers) and any employees we hire will require a purchased Pro license.  This defintely limits the usefulness of the 12 month free Pro license for us.

Frequent Visitor

I'd actually been interviewing people for a job that included dashboard development among its duties. All that is on hold now, I have to go back and try to justify if this position even exists, if we aren't going to be using Power BI any more.... ridiculous.

Re: Changes to Power BI Free are coming on June 1, 2017.

In listening to two different webinars today from MS about Power BI Premium, I learned that Free users will have no access to shared reports period.  This means Pro users cannot share to free users.  Free users can get a 12 trial of Pro free, even if they already burned through a 60 day trial.

Desktop is still going to be what it is, free.

Are there any Microsoft personels who are 'authorised to respond to our feedback' ?

We just need (in the interim) a reply from Msoft that is either

1) Microsoft are not reviewing the changes come June 1st. (we PBI evangelist will need to make plans - you can already see what will happen)

2) Microsoft are taking the feedback seriously and will come back before June 1st with a position. (we will wait with bated breath)

3) "No comment".. (this is the worst outcome for us - we are here now with 18days+ to go)

I think the No.1 issue, "being able to share PBI contents with a cost justifiable pricing'

I appreaciated @MiguelMartinez replies but this focus on what has been established BEFORE our feedback

Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Even if they were listening and took action to address the current situation, would you trust them not to change the rules again? What will it be next time? When will they do it next?

Microsoft have sent a loud and clear message. They are in charge. Community sentiment, customer requirements, customer opinions, are all noise. It's their products, they can take that approach.

But, how can we, the consumers, build any business when the vendor may arbitrarily change the rules at any time? The risk is just too great. So, the search is on for a new platform and that is truely sad. 

Regular Visitor

I just posted my thoughts on this in a blog post. THought it might be relevant.

https://whitepages.unlimitedviz.com/2017/05/power-bi-premium-pricing-model-good-bad-ugly/

Frequent Visitor

[ Edited ]

So, much for Microsoft democratizing data! As a consultant who works with small mom and pop shops, removing the sharing to free accounts is disappointing. Especially, when they touted sharing to all within the organization capabilities as a way to lure customers away from their competitive set.  While I understand the business decision, I can’t help but feel played into switching from Tableau only to find the grass is not greener on the other side. 

Regular Visitor

I don't think this story is done being told yet. At least I hope not. 

Regular Visitor

Hi all, i need some clarification here... For new users who sign up after 1st June, will they be entitled for the trial offer of up to 31st May 2018? Or it is only eligible for those who sign up prior or on 1st June 2017?

Please help cause our dear moderator here is not responding to my query from the other sub forum.

Thanks.