Visitor

Re: Changes to Power BI Free are coming on June 1, 2017

Disappointed Smiley Sad

Not allowing Free users to share dashboards with other Free users is understandable but preventing Pro users from sharing with Free users is going to be a deal breaker for us. How does Microsoft expect a small company to share reports with customers? Premium is too expensive for our level of usage and telling clients to sign up for a Pro license to access the report would be a big barrier. Embedded reports could be an option but I don't want to invest in that solution only for the rug to be pulled from under our feet again in the future. 

What about allowing Pro users to share with Free users who are on an external domain? Or limiting the number of Free users it can be shared with?

Frequent Visitor

I'm very disappointed, by the way can't understand why my post on "May 3 announcement FAQ" has not been published yet, more than 48h in moderation state?

Anyway, I'm an independent consultant and ISV, no problem buying pro license but the only option needed for me is embedding a few reports in a couple of websites for my customers (a dozen not thousands) for readonly use. They would like to take a look at those reports once a day? ten times a week? I think later they would ask for more and I could sell and evangelize PBI to other customers.

No, I won't be able to do it anymore (read "embedding Power BI in apps will be licensed through Power BI Premium moving forward" in the other thread), premium is too much expensive and not affordable for small businesses with, say, 30/100 end users, customers in external organization occasionally watching reports.

Mr. Martinez says "We will be introducing additional SKUs for Power BI Premium that target embedded scenarios based on the needs of organizations". Yes, but when and how much these will be flexible, particularly about the lower range of developers? I think MS it's not gaining much trust from single developers with this move...

I have to build my project now (yesterday, YKWIM) put those readonly reports inside a couple of MVC websites authorized through AAD, offering a simple, clean, secure and professional way to present reports to my few customers.

Will I discover at the end of the year that I will have to pay thousands of dollars month? No thanks.

Frequent Visitor

Ok, so from what i'm reading here - published/embedded dashboards and reports created by a PBI Pro user to SPO are still freely viewable from users with access to that SPO page? And only the publishing/sharing to apps and whatnot (that requires PBI level security) will require a PBI Pro license for both publisher and viewer? The water concerning this whole change is muddied.

Frequent Visitor

@RudyCo wrote:

I suggest Microsoft should split the Power BI Pro license in 2:

• Power BI Pro Author : 10 $/user/month (can read/write/share reports and dashboards)
  • Power BI Pro Reader : 1 $/user/month (can only read reports and dashboards)

Do you agree?

@RudyCo wrote:

I suggest Microsoft should split the Power BI Pro license in 2:

• Power BI Pro Author : 10 $/user/month (can read/write/share reports and dashboards)
  • Power BI Pro Reader : 1 $/user/month (can only read reports and dashboards)

Do you agree?

Or Simply anyone with O365 paid subscribtion can get to use (read rights)

Frequent Visitor

I would tend to agree with many that based on the information provided so far, this is a drastic change that penalizes early adopters at small businesses the most.

There are many use cases where users might only view a dashboard once a month.  If you offer that capability for free from inception and get companies to adopt that capability as part of their strategy, its bad form to come in and start charging "out of the blue".  If you have 100 users who have been checking a dashboard once a month it’s hard to justify that the cost will now be $1,000 per month.  Offering a year of Pro trial simply delays the inevitable.  There isn't going to be a justification to add an extra $12,000 per year to the budget just for that capability in most small businesses.  What that extra year does do is give the developers time to evaluate alternative options for distributing that data in a more cost-effective manner.  I'd prefer not to explore alternatives but it looks like we are being left with no choice.

What concerns me even more than sharing one-off dashboards is the changes coming to the Power BI embedded pricing model.  We have invested a tremendous amount of time and energy towards incorporating the embedded reports into our new applications.  Microsoft has been aggressively pushing adoption of this feature with their "Accelerator Program."  We made the decision, when Power BI Embedded, was announced to add this capability to our long-term strategy and now it looks like we may be suffering the consequences of that decision. I know an earlier reply from MS says other SKU's will be offered but that must be done soon so long term roadmaps can be planned.  At the current minimum cost being shown in the calculator coming in over $60,000/year for the lowest tiers, this will not be part of our future.  That is a decision we need to make very soon not in a year from now, so I hope they don't delay in announcing additional pricing options for users of the embedded feature.

It was the early adopters and supporters that have driven the use of Power BI so far.  Those are the people who convinced business owners and clients to take a chance on a new product. With what we know so far, it’s sounding like a “bait and switch.”  I certainly hope that isn’t the case or I will be very disappointed. On the bright side, it will be a valuable lesson in adopting new products from MS until they have had years to flush out their pricing models.

Frequent Visitor

I was also horrified when I did the calculate cost for just 5 users to occassionally use the dashboard/report and it came up with $7,450/month - What the???

Frequent Visitor

I'm feeling the same way - last couple of months when I discovered Power BI for the first time I was raving about it to everyone I talked to and training myself up to use it so that my small business clients can also see the benefit of changing over to Power BI, now it seems I have to decide whether to walk away from this. Just when I was beginning to like Microsoft again but turns out it is still money hungry.... very disappointed.

Frequent Visitor

It does not make sense to charge the dashboard end-users, as it basically increases the barrier of report consumption. If Microsoft desperately needs some cash, it should charge the report writer for the number of accounts he/she share his work with instead.

Regular Visitor

Hi All,

Going through the complete set of replies on this issue, A lot of people see the PBI change as a bad decision. This boils down to:

• Very late and muddy communication by Microsoft; a month before the change is implemented.....really? The communication is also not clear, hence the lare number of questions that arise in this forum.
  • Bait and switch methode; a lot of us were lured into using PBI (Free) because of the great promisses, the great support and the best sharing options. Many of us have sticked their necks out in their organisations to promote PBI. These organisations often have the office365 suite running and the PBI addition, with similar sharing options as OneDrive, looked like a logical new branche to the suite. It also seems a great evolution path from Excel/Access to an All-in-Cloud data analytics environment. 
  • Broken trust and disappointment. The above, if feel, really hurts Miscrosoft in an area that is important to any company: TRUST....BROKEN TRUST in this case. How do they expect that early adopters, the group of users that boost a product, will react to new MS products that come out or promises that will be made. They will wait and see what comes out of the MS hat in the year to come. Trust comes by foot and goes by horse.
  • Bad licensing scheme. I'm working in a large company. Obviously we have divisions, sub-divisions, departments, teams with different goals and work areas. If I build a dashboard, it would normally be published in Europe among 20-100 people. So we would have 1-3 developers, 20 regular viewers (~10 times per month), 80 occasional viewers (~2 time per month). This would cost us $1.200 per month, just to view a dashboard once in a while. I don't have to explain anyone how this will be preceived by the management.
    Some of the comments suggested different schemes where the developers are charged $9,99, but the regular/occasional users are charged less or nothing. This would solve many of the issues. Also see this link on the subject.

It is realy a blemish on a real great product. I have put a lot of time in PBI, liked it a lot and it seemed great for my organization. I have been promoting PBI throughout the European organization as the way to go. Now I have to abandon it with pain in my heart. 

Bye,

Rudi

Frequent Visitor

Agreed! 

The new move is so disappointing!