Frequent Visitor

Re: Changes to Power BI Free are coming on June 1, 2017

And https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Changes-to-the-free-Power-BI/May-3-announcement-overview/m-p/167395 has a lovely surprise:  If you got in on the ground floor, we'll give you a year of Pro free, but only to existing users.

More than fair, but it might have been put higher up in the postings so we did not have to go crazy with venting.

Frequent Visitor

More than fair if we knew the rules from the start. Also more than fair if the deadline wasn't announced retroactively. As it is, it's a huge letdown for those of us who championed PBI over Looker and Tableau due to the cost model and the integration with O365. Now we look like idiots.

"No one ever got fired for buying IBM." Microsoft? Not so much.

Frequent Visitor

As the IT manager for a nonprofit running a razor thin IT budget, I now get to go to work tomorrow and tell my boss, the head of BI and analytics, that we can no longer use a tool we have been using for months! We can't afford to pay for this so we lose an option we have been pushing to the administration for months AND they are just now buying into. Please Never mind the fact that we'll look life fools when we inform the VPs and President/CEO, let's focus on how could you do this to the most vulnerable of your customers. I know we're not the only ones in this boat. This is really some awful profiteering. What happened to the attitude that wrote the aricatl about nonprofits doing more good with Power BI which is posted on your own website?!?!

I would highly recommend reversing this decision before you alienate small businesses and non-profits who really benefit from havjng Power BI dashboard sharing available for free!!! 

Frequent Visitor

What is the probability that Microsoft would roll-back on this decision? I have been having a sinking feeling since yesterday. Cost-wise, which of these is more value for money now - PBI, Tableau or Qlik? 

Super User

I think it depends on the "Why".  I was reading the through the Premium Whitepaper and I'm getting the distinct impression that the backend costs of Power BI are quite costly and i'm wondering if that cost forced their hand.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

I find it hard to convince a client that there is a small chance their corporate information in a public domain may land in the wrong hands. Unfortunately the outrage for me is

1) explaining to clients, there will be a annual fee hike of $24k (200 Pro) or $60k (Premium) 

2) if they are not willing to pay, a risk their corporate information is not secure. 

Msoft advocates security in all of its software - hence I cannot dilute this reputation.

reposting....

I am a freelance PBI consultant, selling to small corporations AND sub-organisation within a large corporations 

2 most important features of PBI 

(i) creating good great dashboards/reports.

(ii) efficiently sharing dashboards/reports. 

Most of my "small clients" clients are in this "ProUser : Frequent : Occassional User" Ratio = 3 : 0 : 197

Reading the above, 2 scenarios come June2017

Scenario1 : 200 x Pro Licences $ 9.99 / mth x 12mths = $23,976

Scenario2 : 3 x Pro Licences (for Creators+Publishers) $9.99 / mth x 12 mths    +     $4,995 / mth x 12 mths = $60,299.64

Customer fact #1 : My small business clients will baulk at $23,976 (I charge only $3,600 for annual maintenance) 

Customer fact #2 : 12mths Free trial doesn't offer any enticement. Customer will ensure they don't get 'hooked' on PBI in the first place when there is a future costly annual fee.

Customer fact #3 : Most large corporations have already invested in some sort of analytical tools (Qlikview, Tableau etc). I am targetting the sub-orgs. in these large corporations and winning (for now)!  

I expect M'Soft to make money from PBI BUT your model seems to gravitate towards Large Corporations with mega budgets. 

My humble Requests

1) Can Microsoft re-evaluate the pricing model where Small businesses & Small sub organisations can experience PBI. 

2) Can Microsoft postpone the launch until January 2018. My existing clients will be severely disrupted because they will make plans to dump the PBI package I have delivered.

3) Can Microsoft develop an entry-level PBI (similar lower functionality as PBI Free) BUT users can still Share/Publish.

4) <Perhaps> Can Microsoft offer, say a token free 100MB Published PBI where Creator use Pro BUT Recipeints do not need Pro nor Premium. 

I like PBI a lot and it can revolutionise business operations (similar to what XL did).

I really hope Microsoft can support people similar to me (I see many of them on this forum)

1) to let us continue and evangelise PBI. 

2) to avoid a mega 'backlash' from my clients who have invested in PBI.

Thanks....

Frequent Visitor

Please make the Premium capacity for free for NGO and companies smaller then 1000 employees!

Or include Power BI pro at no cost in the Office E3 licence!

Thanks for keeping the amazing Power BI for all companies! You said in the Summit that it is democratisation of Data.... But with the new price tag it would be again that only the rich companies can afford a premium installation.

Frequent Visitor

I'm facing the exact same challenge --

Having spent the last 6 months "selling" the benefits of the Power BI reporting platform on the project I am on -- and with at least 5 teams / departments looking at the platform for simliar requirements, we are going to have to completely relook at our BI reporting platform decision and possibly scrap the past few months of work.

With 1 month's notice, this is B.S. (basically sabotage) for customers.

Regular Visitor

It sounds as "bye, bye" Power BI and "welcome back" QlikSense.

The collaboration features were an important part of Power BI (Free) and we were looking into using PBI in stead of QlikView/Sense for reporting in parts of Europe. With the new PBI licensing scheme we will have to keep using Qlik, which is also a great product.

Too bad.

Rudi