mim Member

Re: Changes to Power BI Free are coming on June 1, 2017

@PaulDBrown or you can always use this approach, but you need to redo your charts in Excel

https://datamonkeysite.com/2017/01/01/how-to-use-excel-as-a-front-end-to-power-bi-desktop/

obviousely not officially supported. 

mim Member

@wtedder no, 20 users  is 200 dollars/month, you don't need premium, pro is good in your case. 

New Contributor

Sorry but I just don't share the outrage.  If you want sign-in security to view dashboards then $10/mo/user.  Otherwise publish to an open URL and share that.

One could put that URL in a secure location of course - that helps in shifting security to your control - but still theoretically someone could guess or randomly generate PBI url strings and find your dashboard....although that appears challenging to my un-hacker eye....   

so I've been using this url publish method frequently given the content isn't super sensitive and not really revealing ..... sure sales info is sensitive but if you don't put the company name (the viewers know) then should a random person find the url they sort of don't really know who's data they're looking at......but this idea of security-thru-obscurity only goes so far. 

www.CahabaData.com
Frequent Visitor

The problem isn't that they charge money for a service. It's that they offer a free service, get us to invest in it and then start charging. It's just plain evil.

New Contributor

sort of like a heroin dealer....first doses are free........  they probably should have started it at $1/mo just to weed out the freebie crowd.......then it would have just been a price increase rather than going from free to not free...

actually the hassle issue for some of us is not the cost  - but the process: I can't sign up someone else to Power BI Service because there is going to be an authentication email to them that I believe is time sensitive.  So I have to tell them they have to go set up their service - even though they want me to handle everything and give them a finished product - -  not a 100% sure on this, am still experimenting.....

www.CahabaData.com
Frequent Visitor

As I understood PowerBI Premium (suit for large organization) will not replace Pro (suit for small ones)

and you can choose which opt is the best for you. 

Capture1.PNG

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/

So If I need 10 licences I still can pay 99$ per month, ya?

Worst thing here is Microsoft is unpredictible and who know what will be next.

It is risky to invest if you unsure about future

mim Member

@Bartosz you are correct, another excellent resource here

http://exceleratorbi.com.au/power-bi-licences-changes-good-bad/

Frequent Visitor

I agree @mim. The tradition for a tiered service product is to offer premium features for a price while the core features are unchanged. Power BI's main competitor, Tableau never hid the fact that private dashboards are a premium feature. That caveat kept me from learning their system and not Power BI.

Microsoft has pulled a switch: after letting us share and export for free they've now decided we're hooked. It would be like Facebook letting us upload our photos to service for a year but then telling us that to share them will require an upgrade... I know they are a business but a change like this was truely unexpected.

I'm still not sure how this change will affect me but I've had a sinking feeling all day that 6+ months of work will be lost.

I won't look like a fool (hopefully) but my colleagues using Tableau will welcome me to their ranks.

Frequent Visitor

I do not understand Microsoft PowerBI business model. Making such a big change all current users all of a sudden. First, Excel Powerpivot is not included from Office Business license. Business user find out after upgrading from 2013 to Office 365 business. Now they ripped the heart out of Powerbi for small and medium business the ability to share with others who are not business analysis or report creators. Most of the users are consumer. They open up the report, read it and make some decision for the day or for the week. There is no value for them to have a PRO license with all the unused ability.

I championed PowerBI in my job last year just because of the mix model (Pro and Free) and was able to convince decision-makers to migrate from another BI tool that charges a per seat license - no differentiation between report consumers, analyst or creators.

From June 1, Powerbi license works just like what we had before.

There is no business value to keep PRO licenses without report sharing to Free license users (or paid report viewer users). I totally agree with the evaluation in this blog port

http://exceleratorbi.com.au/power-bi-licences-changes-good-bad/

Frequent Visitor

Broken Trust.

We trusted Microsoft to continue down the path they had established which encouraged collaboration, which nourished a vibrant and growing community, and which made many into proud and enthusiastic supporters of their products.  We were wrong.

This is a foundational disruption to trust. If Microsoft can so easily change the rules then:

- How can we trust them with our data? Will it become their data? Will they start sharing it as they like or using it as they choose?

- Will ads suddenly start appearing on dashboard unless we buy the ad-free subscription?

- Why would we contribute our time, innovation, and energy to build visualisations for their app store - for their commercial benefit?

- Where is the incentive for the many to participate in forums and communities?  

Before 1 June it was about sharing and innovating and enthusiasm and collaboration and being part of something that was becoming quite special. After 30 May it just ends up being about Microsoft and their products. Just like every other vendor. 

So, IBM, Oracle, Amazon, Google and others. Microsoft blazed a trail on how to get momentum and energy, community and contribution in the amazing field of analytics. Maybe someone else could use that model (really, really quickly please) to replace what is being lost.