mim Member

Re: Changes to Power BI Free are coming on June 1, 2017

@TobiasOwen "SharePoint for general consumption outside of the Power BI service.", you need a pro license for every users to read a dashboard, unless you are talking about publish to web which is insecure.

Regular Visitor

@mim Do O365 users require a Pro License to view dashboards embedded in a secure SharePoint environment? I must admit I have never tested this with a non-Pro user so am unsure.

I would never advocate publishing to web unless a report is intended for public consumption.

mim Member

@TobiasOwen unless they are on E5, they need a license. 

Established Member

[ Edited ]

Just had a go with the license calculator with. 30 user scenario. The quote came to just over 5.000$/month!!!!

just had a good old chuckle... They need to polish things up a bit...

PS. For "free" usage, can't we just host the pbix file somewhere and let other users access it?

Frequent Visitor

How these products differ [PowerBI Desktop (will .pbix files still receive monthly updates?), PowerBI Free Online Service (Gateways are still required?), PowerBI Pro and PowerBI Premium] post June 1st?

Does this change mean is to ask the end users of our Shared Reports and Shared Dashboards to have a license just to view and interact with the report?

Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

[ Edited ]

I suggest Microsoft should split the Power BI Pro license in 2:

• Power BI Pro Author : 10 $/user/month (can read/write/share reports and dashboards)
  • Power BI Pro Reader : 1 $/user/month (can only read reports and dashboards)

Do you agree?

Frequent Visitor

Not sure about the detailed changes, but have couple of questions at this time.

From May 3 announcement, it is clear that PowerBI Desktop (.pbix files) will have no changes, hopefully it will still receive monthly updates.

Does this affect PowerBI for O365 users also? Or Need a license for the end users to view our Shared Reports and Shared Dashboards and to interact with them?

Thanks,

mim Member

@PaulDBrown you can share the pbix, two problems though

-PBI Desktop can not print

- people will have access to the model too, I prefer users to see only reports.

another option is to use PowerBI desktop with a live query to sql server.

but then who knows microsoft will come up with some new restriction, i am tired with this **bleep**

Visitor

This is absolutely ridiculous. Microsoft has just killed the use of their product at my employer and simultaneously killed the advancement of my career. I ubnderstand the need for a pro license for sharing dashboards, but for viewing them it is ridiculous.

we are using  dashboards with around 20 people at my location and I am one of 3 pro users. so we go from 30 dollars a month to over 5000 if we opt in to premium. What a waste

Frequent Visitor

Sorry, but I do not. I understand they want a fair price, but this isn't fair.

When we started with powerBI it was advertised with free sharing of dashboards, which made us invest time and money in it. No that we are hooked they start charging money, I think you can make your own analogy hereSmiley Wink

I can understand them charging for publishing, but chargin for users that lookup some info ever couple of weeks is just stupid, not to mention a hassel.