Regular Visitor

Re: Changes to Power BI Free are coming on June 1, 2017

[ Edited ]

This move will definately have implications for smaller business, us included. It's the smaller but forward-focused businesses who are using Power BI in all sorts of innovative ways, driving the community and co-developing Power BI towards the areas of advanced and meaningful analytics. Not the users in large companies that mainly use it for retrospective reporting. Hundreds of end users of the shared reports and dashboards, the customers, are going to suffer from this. Because small business won't be able to afford these licenses and thus the products they made in the past will become inaccessible. Effort, money, relations - wasted and down the drain. Because Microsoft chooses to rather dote upon the already rich and successful, at least so it appears. Competitors, like Tableau or iDashboards, will likely benefit from this mistake. These forward smaller business are no blind followers, they will not likely say Amen and purchase these licenses that are made to sound so sweet. Even if they wanted to, they cannot. No, they will look beyond and search for new ways to solve their problems and continue their services. And leave Power BI in the past. Not a scenario I'm hoping for, but rather one that I dread.

Frequent Visitor

I believe there is more clarification required from Microsoft on whar does it mean by "Dashboard sharing will no longer be part of Power BI Free" . Does it mean that -

1. Only PowerBI Pro users can share the dashboard but all users can view it. OR
  2. An user has have a Pro license to view shared report.

It is fine if it is the former option, however is a disaster if it is later. 

For an organization with 100 user with 2 power users and none of the dashboards need to be refreshed at a higher frequency than daily, I'm still fine with paying $20 per month, but $1000 per month is a hassle for just accessing the reports.

~Sid

Frequent Visitor

I am afraid it's option 2.

Regular Visitor

[ Edited ]

Look here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Changes-to-the-free-Power-BI/May-3-announcement-FAQ/td-p/167399

They say:

- "If you are sharing dashboards/reports with free users, beginning June 1st they will need to take advantage of the extended Pro trial to continue accessing the content. After the extended trial expires, users will need a Pro license to maintain access."

- "There are now two ways they can see it. One, the end users have a Pro license/Trial (As mentioned above). Or, the person sharing the content has a premium license on top of the Pro license, then the end users will be able to see the dashboards as free users."

So either our customers have to pay for licenses or businesses have to license for both a Pro and Premium account to share content with non-licensed users. Microsoft knows darn well that we would rather choose the second option. In our desire to build and serve we will not let customers pay for this, nor ask of them to even engage in all this hassle. So the solution most profitable for Microsoft would be the most logical one for us. Too bad many won't be able to afford it.

Here you can get an idea of what it's going to cost you: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/calculator/

Only a handful of your colleagues using Power BI to create products for a dozen or so customers? Then you might want to consider looking for alternatives that won't actually kill your business.

mim Member

I am angry as mad, Microsoft from day one was  cheating about the free option, they used us as a beta testers to their product, until it become mature and now they are telling us pay or $%()@@@, it open another question how do you trust a software as a service vendor, hell, they can change the terms any time they want.

now i look like a fool in my company.

Frequent Visitor

[ Edited ]

For Microsoft to make such a fundamental change to their offering is a massive breach of 'open' trust. 

- Why would anyone build a visualisation to share openly and freely with the community when the community is now all paying customers? 

- Why would anyone contribute to a forum or community just to help Microsoft's paying customers? Let them do it all.

- Why would anyone promote PowerBI as an open and collaborative tool when you can only collaborate if everyone pays? Haven't Microsoft understood how collaborative the internet has become?

- Why would anyone trust Microsoft not to simply change the rules again and require everyone to have a Premium licence? Or to just take copyright to your data? Or have Microsoft allowed to give your data away? Or to use your data for their own purposes? Trust is fragile and Microsoft have now shown they can't really be trusted. Don't they understand the stupidity of their decision?

- How can Microsoft have the arrogance to use the magical D3 open-source visualisation engine that is the heart of PowerBI and make their implementation  proprietary? 

So, I'm sure Microsoft think they have been very clever and are going to make zillions of dollars as we all throw money at them for Pro licences, but without a vibrant, collaborative, and contributing open ecosystem, they are going to have to do it all themselves. 

It's very sad that after June 1 collaboration ends.

Frequent Visitor

What about Power BI Desktop? It will be pro too?

Frequent Visitor

Disappointing but predictable I guess. 

Our biggest problem is for clients who don't want to purchase PowerBI licences because they don't want to get involved in Office365.

Years of investment and development under threat, and our agency reputation damaged.

Frequent Visitor

Disappointing but predictable I guess. 

Our biggest problem is for clients who don't want to purchase PowerBI licences because they don't want to get involved in Office365.

Years of investment and development under threat, and our agency reputation damaged.

Regular Visitor

Bad news for smaller companies, good news for larger ones. The migration to Apps that can be authored and distributed via Premium is a great asset for larger business with a small number of developers and a large audience.

What I don't understand is why this added functionality has to come at the expense of the smaller business users and not in addition to the functionality previously offered.

I think there will still be a low-budget solution for smaller companies because .pbix files can be distributed and used via Power BI Desktop for Free users, and dashboards can be embedded in SharePoint for general consumption outside of the Power BI service.

The decision to not allow viewing of shared dashboards by Free users is disappointing. I could appreciate Microsoft's position if they were to only allow Pro users to share dashboards, but anyone could view them. That would be, in my opinion, an acceptable compromise. But the fact that you will need a Pro license just to view shared dashboards is something that is unlikely to go down well in the Power BI community.