New Contributor

Re: Changes to Power BI Free are coming on June 1, 2017

In PBI Service, one can still publish a Report to a url - and then share that.

The caveat/warning always given with this method - is that there is no sign-in security.

www.CahabaData.com
New Contributor

Re: Changes to Power BI Free are coming on June 1, 2017.

In PBI Service, one can still publish a Report to a url - and then share that.

The caveat/warning always given with this method - is that there is no sign-in security.

www.CahabaData.com
Frequent Visitor

Yes.  Included in that price quote was the ability to use power bi web part in our sharepont license agreement.  We'd need to upgrade sharepoint enterprise license and everybody reading that secure embed would need to get power bi PRO.  This is the only real option for Enterprise data security.  Shared among our LDAP users, non-public publication.    

Otherwise, you can certainly publish your Power BI report to the public azure cloud and embed it in a iframe in a group sharepoint site etc.. you can then control access through the group sharepoint site.... but otherise sensitive info will be exposed to the people that know where to go to look for it, right?

Super User

The largest mistake here is Microsoft not understanding how Small to Medium businesses use and recommend there products and will form the backbone of increasing its adoption rate.

Free users are essentially your trial users.  They in turn advertise your product.  Ideally everyone should start to use Power BI and this adoption rate should feed to a growth of Pro users.  Free definately needs limitations, but viewing created reports shouldn't be one of them.

The enterprise level of licensing with Premium is fantastic, but its also badly targeted.  Why is a node based on essentually 1000 users?  Why price it at the cost of 500 premium licenses?  I can see businesses with 3000 staff still only requiring 30 Pro licenses.  No way would they want to pay for 2 nodes and 30 pro.

Read only access should be available for all free licenses, fair enough if there is a few extra limitations.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Regular Visitor

I'm so sad ! Since severals month I've been working in my company to develop this solution for many new user and now all is down  ! ! !

Frequent Visitor

Very disappointed with this move! I understand the developer of the reports requiring PBI Pro to share the dashboards - but why should the consumers of the dashboard (someone who is just to going to be clicking around the dasboard) have a Pro license? Unable to justify the move...

[ Edited ]

We don't use too many accounts, and I understand from a business perspective. But this will cause is a lot of annoying work, constantly switching pro licenses from clients that dont need it to those who do. It's really too bad.

Oh it would also be nice to know what will happen to dashboards that are shared right now. What will it look like for our clients if we were to not grant them a licence before June 1st?

Frequent Visitor

[ Edited ]

"If you use Power BI Pro features like groups or on-premises connectivity, your recipients need a Power BI Pro license to view the content."

Who is willing to pay 10$/user/month when the use case for this user is just to see one or two report(s) 5 minutes each month?!? Smiley Embarassed

It looks like Microsoft tries to make us go away and use Tableau Software! Smiley Frustrated

Frequent Visitor

Great, I've spent months trying to convince my company to start using it, weeks to learn the program and set it up, almost got the ERP people ready with the connector and now I have to tell they need to pay some money or it will all be for nothing.

Thanks Microsoft, for ruining my reputation in the company... 

Frequent Visitor

Same issue ! I said "Microsoft Power BI" is better than the competitors because of 1/ prices 2/ features and 3/ integration.

Now, Point 1/ (the most important one) is not true anymore and we have to revert back !!!