Frequent Visitor

Changes to Power BI Free are coming on June 1, 2017

Email from Power BI Team:

"Changes to Power BI Free are coming on June 1, 2017.

This update will provide you with enhanced data capacity and refresh rates, as well as unlimited access to all data sources. Dashboard sharing will no longer be part of Power BI Free, but will still be available with Power BI Pro.

If you’re interested in an extended Power BI Pro trial that will run June 1, 2017, to May 31, 2018, simply sign in as normal on or after June 1, 2017, and get going. Contact us to learn more about Power BI Pro."

I dont understand, only the sharing part of the dashboard will be available only to PRO or the user who was shared the dasboard has to be PRO too?

Frequent Visitor

Changes to Power BI Free are coming on June 1, 2017.

Email from Power Bi Team:

"Changes to Power BI Free are coming on June 1, 2017.

This update will provide you with enhanced data capacity and refresh rates, as well as unlimited access to all data sources. Dashboard sharing will no longer be part of Power BI Free, but will still be available with Power BI Pro.

If you’re interested in an extended Power BI Pro trial that will run June 1, 2017, to May 31, 2018, simply sign in as normal on or after June 1, 2017, and get going. Contact us to learn more about Power BI Pro."

The user who shares the dashboard has to be a PRO user, but the one who was shared the dashboard can be a FREE user?

(A dashboard without pro content)

Frequent Visitor

Re: Changes to Power BI Free are coming on June 1, 2017.

Forum mods are banning posts that are slightly critical of the new policy in the official FAQ thread, perhaps we can discuss it here? 

Visitor

Re: Changes to Power BI Free are coming on June 1, 2017.

Going forward, we will improve the free service to have the same functionality as Power BI Pro, but will limit sharing and collaboration features to only Power BI Pro users.

Not looking good. Taken from here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/microsoft-accelerates-modern-bi-adoption-with-power-bi-prem...

Frequent Visitor

Re: Changes to Power BI Free are coming on June 1, 2017

If you want a report to be shared, it looks like come June 1 we have 2 choices:

1. Everyone who write and reads has a Pro license

2. You get a $5000 Premium license and then allow ~1000 readers + paying for Pro licenses for writers. 

Frequent Visitor

Just to clarify, it looks like those charges are per month...so 60K a year.

AY New Member

Please confirm if I will need a PRO license to share dashborads, and/or if those with whom I am sharing will also need a PRO license, or can they still use the FREE license? Thanks,

Frequent Visitor

This is a very sad change by Microsoft.

One of the great advantages of the free PowerBI Service was the ease and speed with which dashboards could be shared with brand new users. This helped spread, like wildfire, demand and usage in both private and commercial environments. A few clicks and anyone could be seeing a dashboard and be wowed and impressed with PowerBI.

On June 1 that all changes. The new users must sign up for PowerBI Pro (which isn't going to happen), sign up for a 60-day trial of PowerBI Pro (some will, many won't), or find someone willing to pay thousands of dollars a month for PowerBI Premium.

So PowerBI reverts to a proprietary environment controlled by Microsoft where functionality and access can and will be changed at their whim. That's their right, that's their privalege.

But it's not what made PowerBI spectacular compared to its competition. It was the instant easiness of collaboration. And that's gone on June 1st.

Visitor

Indeed, very upsetting and quite frankly the only reason I currently use and promote the use of Power BI. I will no longer be advocating that others use this product (either Free version or Pro).

The largest draw in my opinion is if my organization chooses to pay for employee Pro licenses, we can then share our output with clients who are using free licenses without making our information public.

Without sharing in free accounts, this platform is not worth it.

Frequent Visitor

Yes, this is a huge, huge deal!  

I imagine sharing with FREE could be abused but only so much given what we pay for our 365 enterprise licensing.  But here's the thing.... it made possible an enterprise strategy to utilize both FREE and PRO.  Previously the consideration was to divide the groups of users needing enterprise refresh capability.  PRO could use the Enterprise data refreshed daily, and other users could use the same portal for less important dashboards built on spreadsheets etc.  

Given some sexy dashboards... you can sell that to the people cutting the checks.

No joke.  We just received quotes today from Microsoft for Power BI pricing:  PwrBIPro ShrdSvr ALNG SubsVL MVL PerUsr ... 

They had an awesome opportunity to add to our exising enterprise license and the reps were probably pretty excited when they sent that mail from Europe this morning knowing how exiting we were to implement our strategy.  Haha, Then they got a reply with this.... asking them to confirm our strategy for utilizing both is DOA (dead on arrival).   

Very very disappointing.  Just as we were starting to utilize both the content packages for salesforce and jira.... oh well.