Regular Visitor
Accepted Solution

Administering the PowerBI Pro 12 month free licenses

Has anyone heard anything more about the 12 month free Pro license offer, specifically how those licenses can be managed?

We're managing PowerBI Free licenses through our Office 365 portal.  If one of those Free users claims a 12 month Pro license on June 1, will it appear in our O365 Admin portal?  Will we be able to take that license away from specific users?  Will removing the Office 365 account remove the PowerBI Pro access?

Our admins could be dealing with some chaos on June 1 if we don't know how all this will work well in advance.

Accepted Solutions
Power BI Team

Re: Administering the PowerBI Pro 12 month free licenses

Hi,

A user on the 12-month extended Pro trial of Power BI will still have a Power BI (free) license in Azure Active Directory.  If you remove that user's Power BI (free) license in AAD that will prevent them from accessing Power BI any more.  This is the same behavior as with the 60-day in product trials today.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Power BI Team

Hi,

The 12-month extended Pro trial licenses are available specificly to eligible users.  When these eligible users log in to Power BI on June 1 or later, they will be presented with a dialog to accept the extended trial.  These extended Pro trial licenses are not available in Azure Active Directory or the Office portal to be reassigned to other users.

Adam

Regular Visitor

@AdamWilson - Thanks!  Will we be able to remove the license from a user?  For example - we have a user to whom we've assigned a PowerBI Free licensing in the O365 Admin portal.  That user accepts the offer on June 1 and now has a PowerBI Pro license.  That user leaves our company.  I can block that user's Office 365 account, but will that also block the user's access to PowerBI, since the Pro license is outside of Azure AD?

If we can't remove PowerBI Pro access from individual users, that could be a pretty large problem.  We'd have to rely on the people who have shared their PowerBI dashboards to remove users from the sharing when they leave the company with no way to ensure that it happens. 

Power BI Team

Hi,

A user on the 12-month extended Pro trial of Power BI will still have a Power BI (free) license in Azure Active Directory.  If you remove that user's Power BI (free) license in AAD that will prevent them from accessing Power BI any more.  This is the same behavior as with the 60-day in product trials today.

Regular Visitor

@AdamWilson - at least that's good news - thanks!

Frequent Visitor

Hi there,

I have user in the company with POWER Bi (free), and unfortunately pop-up window with power bi pro trial (12month) offer didn't appears? What to do? I checked and license is assigned to the user. The wierd is that this user on free account has 10 gb of storage. From licensing point of view should be 1 GB. Please advise. Many thanks.

Frequent Visitor

Hi there,

I have user in the company with POWER Bi (free), and unfortunately pop-up window with power bi pro trial (12month) offer didn't appears? What to do? I checked and license is assigned to the user. The wierd is that this user on free account has 10 gb of storage. From licensing point of view should be 1 GB. Please advise. Many thanks.