Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

VIPDRE
Regular Visitor

will incremental data refresh overwrite unchanged data?

Hello,

My dataset is set to autorefresh via multiple endpoints of a JSON API. The provider of the source data has advised me the PBI data pulls are taxing the data server's performance resources. 

To remedy this I suggested an incremental refresh of only the new/changed data would be a solution.

Could you help me answer two questions

1) Is this article the best source of data to explain what I need to do? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-premium-incremental-refresh

2) If I set this up on the PBI side, using the date modified fields provided to me in the database, will the refreshes REPLACE the unchanged data in my PBI dataset? Or will it simply add/modify the relevant records which changed in the source data? In other words, I want to make sure I don't erase unchanged data in my PBI dataset.

Thanks!

Andre

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Yes, that's the one but I do not believe that incremental refresh is available for just any data source although I can't find that information any longer. I swear there used to be a limitations section to that document.

With incremental refresh, only new and modified data gets changed, it does not overwrite existing data that has not changed.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Yes, that's the one but I do not believe that incremental refresh is available for just any data source although I can't find that information any longer. I swear there used to be a limitations section to that document.

With incremental refresh, only new and modified data gets changed, it does not overwrite existing data that has not changed.

Latest book!:

Thank you so much for the reply and help. I'll see if the feature is available for my data source. 

Yeah, let me know, kinda curious about that.

Latest book!:

VIPDRE
Regular Visitor

@Greg_Deckler  or anyone have thoughts on this? Or do I need to post in a different area?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.