Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Balogh1Bence
Helper II
Helper II

using array of selectionIDs in tooptipService.show

Is it possible to give an array of selectinID-s in the identities property of the object passed to the toolTipService.show?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @Balogh1Bence

This show() method just supports a single selection ID, as report page tooltips work off a single selection ID that contains the necessary measures and/or columns + values) to trigger it.

If you need multiple values for a category, for example, you can chain .withCategory() for all applicable data view indicies when generating the selection ID.

Let's say you want to generate an ID for elements 0, 10, and 32 from your category column's values array (numbers are aribtrary).

Crude pseudocode (assuming you already have the column stored as a variable) would be something like:

const builder = host.createSelectionIdBuilder();
const selectionId = builder
    .withCategory(categoryColumn, 0)
    .withCategory(categoryColumn, 10)
    .withCategory(categoryColumn, 32)
    .createSelectionId();

This can then be passed to your tooltip's show() method to ensure that all three values are selected.

You can chain the .with* methods as many times a you need (including measures and matrix/table nodes, depending on how your data view mapping is set up).

You're also able to work this approach into an iterator, so if you have an array of selected values and their indices, you would declare the builder outside the loop, so it's appropriately scoped and then you can incrementally call the .with* method in the iterator on each pass. This will append the ID onto the outer-scoped builder.

Once complete, you can call .createSelectionId() on your builder variable to get an accumulated selection ID with multiple points that you can pass to a tooltip.

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @Balogh1Bence

This show() method just supports a single selection ID, as report page tooltips work off a single selection ID that contains the necessary measures and/or columns + values) to trigger it.

If you need multiple values for a category, for example, you can chain .withCategory() for all applicable data view indicies when generating the selection ID.

Let's say you want to generate an ID for elements 0, 10, and 32 from your category column's values array (numbers are aribtrary).

Crude pseudocode (assuming you already have the column stored as a variable) would be something like:

const builder = host.createSelectionIdBuilder();
const selectionId = builder
    .withCategory(categoryColumn, 0)
    .withCategory(categoryColumn, 10)
    .withCategory(categoryColumn, 32)
    .createSelectionId();

This can then be passed to your tooltip's show() method to ensure that all three values are selected.

You can chain the .with* methods as many times a you need (including measures and matrix/table nodes, depending on how your data view mapping is set up).

You're also able to work this approach into an iterator, so if you have an array of selected values and their indices, you would declare the builder outside the loop, so it's appropriately scoped and then you can incrementally call the .with* method in the iterator on each pass. This will append the ID onto the outer-scoped builder.

Once complete, you can call .createSelectionId() on your builder variable to get an accumulated selection ID with multiple points that you can pass to a tooltip.

Regards,

Daniel

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

thank you, it works well. Do you know if there is a way to create a selectionID for a measure? Iam using a matrix dataView

Yes - use .withMeasure() and pass the queryName property from the relevant MetadataColumn.

The sympton is that I can see all the measures on the tooltip report

somehow it does not work. This is the selectionID created with the queryname. 
Balogh1Bence_0-1623405349729.png

And thats how I create it:

Balogh1Bence_1-1623405584648.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.