Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tinadouglass51
Advocate I
Advocate I

the database driver does not include necessary capabilities in EXCEL

Hi,

This may be more appropriate for an EXCEL forum, but decided to start here.

We have live connect in EXCEL to a model created through Power BI.  When a user selects some of the filters the are receiving the error 

"the database driver does not include necessary capabilities and cannot be used with Excel.  Contact your data administrator or Driver Vendor"

Has anyone had this before?  Is there Drivers that need to be downloaded on his desktop?

Tina

8 REPLIES 8
LindsayK
Frequent Visitor

Hi Tina,

I was getting the same error in Excel (not Power BI) and was able to fix it.  It was happening only when I had table variables above a WITH, with several subqueries beneath. 

What I did to solve the problem was to simply type "SET NOCOUNT ON" at the very top of the query above all the rest of the code. 

Even if you do not have a table variable or a WITH, anyone could try to type this at the top of their code and see if it resolves their issue.

Hope this helps someone.

Lindsay

Anonymous
Not applicable

any solution for this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Possible reason can be a change in your data(set).
Best way to solve this: Clear cache excel and refresh your data connection/query. 
If still not fixed, make sure that the variables used have the same name as in your dataset.
This solved the issue for us.

Kind regards

TDouglassAFG
Frequent Visitor

I also receive this error alot and had to rebuild a report because of it.  Sometimes I can just refresh.  I agree with the suggestion below that it is usually due to records selected in the filter and how the refresh works.  

ebeery
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I've run into the same issue several times, and it's caused a lot of frustration because the issue seems transient with no clear fix or troubleshooting steps.   

In my case we're also using the "Analyze in Excel" feature (OLAP connection to a published Power BI dataset) and the issue seems specific to one particular filter field.  When attempting to change the filter, the error message is received.

ebeery_0-1623349431891.png
The only "solution" I've found so far is to pull the problematic field into the "Rows" section of the PivotTable, and then immediately move it back to the "Filters" section.   After doing so, the filter works properly with no errors.  No idea why this "fix" works...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any solution for this issue ??

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

So you have Excel and you created a Live data connection to a Power BI dataset?

I would make sure their Excel is up-to-date

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.