Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

khubieb
Frequent Visitor

table dataViewMappings columns order and show items with no data dependency on chronological order

I am trying to develop a custom visual (Kanban Board sort of visual) and facing below limitations or perhaps my lack of knowledge in the dataViewMapping and its customizations , the common between the two observations, is that both are impacted by the chronological order in which fields are dragged by users into the visual fields wells at runtime 

any hint on what i am missing here would be much appreciated 

1. the option to "show items with no data" seems to depend on the chronological order in which columns are added to the visaul at runtime, i.e. the first column user adds is the one used to left join other columns , data values from other columns which doesn't have related data in the first column will not be visible on the dataView.table.rows collection 

e.g. if I have two tables stages and features with one stage to many features relationship , if I drag stage label first for instance to the visual, I will have all stages present in the table even if they don't have respective featuers, while if I add a feature title first , stages with no features will not be present 

2. The column entity in dataView.metadata.columns collection doesn't seem to have an obvious attribute that designate the order of appearance of the column in the visualization fields wells , the columns are also ordered by the chronological order in which the user adds them to the visual at run time even if the user reorders them later after addition

The data model

data modeldata model

Stage.label dragged first to the visual

label dragged first visuallabel dragged first visual

DataView while stage.label dragged first

dataview with label dragged firstdataview with label dragged first

Stage.label dragged late to the visual and “show items with no data” checked

label dragged later visuallabel dragged later visual

label dragged late dataviewlabel dragged late dataview

Reordering fields in “card content” well later after dragging has no impact on their metadata or appearance in resulting dataview table

fields reordering dataviewfields reordering dataview

3 REPLIES 3
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@khubieb,

DAX Studio can be used to capture queries, you may have a look.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

thanks for the hint, it provides a good insight into another topic, but the problem is not in preparing the dataset via DAX. the dataset is good, it is only the order of dragging fields into the visual generates different results, i assume the dataset should be resilient to the order of fields addition to visual. 

what i did last is:

1. in capabilities.json , I forced one column (the one i would like to have it seed for left joining other related data) to have min=1, hence users now can't add other fields before this one
  2. switched to categorical dataViewMapping , this way the order of categories are appearing the way user is ordering them in the categories list, but now after v2.1 of the API only one view is created "categorical", i had to change my data processing logic to cope with this, before v2.1 , table view was generated even if "categorical" dataviewmapping was used

thanks anyways

khubieb
Frequent Visitor

Demo DataModelDemo DataModel

I am new comer here and trying to develop a customer visual (sort of Kanban board) , order of dragging fields into visual dictates resulting dataview irrespective of user reordering actions after first drag!! Am I missing something here or is it sort of missing capability? 

1. first field dragged is used to left join others, hence option "show items with no data" is not producing expected results if field of choice was dragged into visual later

2. neither metadata nor column order of appearance into dataview table reflects the order in which user chooses the columns to appear one after the other 

sample data in next diagram "features" are grouped by "stages" (one "stage" to many "feautres" relationship), if stage "label" field is dragged first, dataview table will contain row(s) of data for "stages" with no "features" , if "label" is added late, no rows for "stages" with no "features" are found in the dataview table. (sample reports and resulting dataviews are in next screenshots) 

label dragged first dataviewlabel dragged first dataviewlabel dragged late dataviewlabel dragged late dataview

user fields reordering after drag, no metadata, no impact on dataview tableuser fields reordering after drag, no metadata, no impact on dataview table

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.