Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jhacharya
Frequent Visitor

sum of a measure Power BI

I have a measure and I need a way to sum up the value the measure produces.

I have come up with the example below

Report Table that I would produce in Power BI 

==============================
Number of channels
per Customer             Measure 1          Measure 2               Measure 3
1                                 1                        1                               .5                   <== Correct Value
2                                 1                        2                               .33                  <== Correct Value
3                                 1                        0                               1                    <== Correct Value

Total                           3                        3                               1.83     <== this is the value I am looking for on a total line

1.00 .    <== this is what I am getting but not what I want

Here is the Raw Data

RawTable
=======
Customer ID          Channel            Age of Data           Number of channels          Customer Type      Customer ID    Customer ID 
                                                       Days                       per Customer                                                   A                      B 
123                        web                  0                             3                                        A                            123                  <blank> 
123                        web                  2                              3                                        A                          123                <blank> 
123                        email                5                              3                                        A                          123                <blank> 
123                        assisted            3                              3                                        A                          123                <blank> 
224                        web                  0                              2                                        A                          224                <blank> 
224                        email                5                              2                                        A                          224                <blank> 
664                        email                4                              1                                        A                          664                <blank> 
723                        assisted            3                              1                                        B                          <blank>         723 
724                        web                  0                              2                                        B                          <blank>         724
724                        email                5                              2                                        B                          <blank>         724
824                        web                  0                              2                                        B                          <blank>         824 
824                        email                5                              2                                        B                          <blank>         824

Measure 1 = distinct count of customers for type A

Measure 1 = DISTINCTCOUNT('RawTable'[Customer ID A])

Measure 2 = distinct count of customers for type B

Measure 2 = DISTINCTCOUNT('RawTable'[Customer ID B])

Measure 3 = distinct count of customers for type A divided by total number of customers

Measure 3 =
DIVIDE(
Measure 1
,CALCULATE(Measure 1+Measure 2)
,0)

Now I need to get to a sum of Measure 3
in the example I have given I would need to get to a total of 1.83

Now this would need to be dynamically worked out so that
when I add data slicers for age, or type of channel the sum of
measure 3 would need to be worked out

I cant get this to work .  

Please help

1 REPLY 1
jhacharya
Frequent Visitor

While I could not fully resolve this issue, I have got to a place that at least shows the sum of the measures.

I created a table inside the power bi report itself, as follows

SUM MeasureTable =
// Provide starting point for loop needed to build table
VAR __MaxNumberOfChannels
= CALCULATE('*Measures'[MaxNumberOfChannels])

// Generate a "loop table", this will emulate a for loop for i=1 to some number
VAR __loopTable
= GENERATESERIES(1,__MaxNumberOfChannels)

// Add in our calculated sum, emulating calculations done as iterations over the loop

VAR __loopTable1 =
ADDCOLUMNS
(__loopTable
,"Number of channels per Customer" , [Value]
,"Measure 1"
, CALCULATE('*Measures'[Measure 1]
,'RawTable'[Number of channels per Customer ]=EARLIER([Value] )
)
,"Measure 2"
, CALCULATE('*Measures'[Measure 2]
)
,"Measure 3"
, CALCULATE('*Measures'[Measure 3]
)
)
RETURN
__loopTable1

now this does produce the results correctly, but since the data is calculated as its loaded into the table, the results are not effected by any filtering. 

Maybe there is a way to build the table to reload each time you change the value on a data slicer for example, but I dont now how

not sure if this approach gets me closer or further aways from my desired final result

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors