Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

billzhang1123
Helper II
Helper II

remove custom visuals from desktop

I imported a custom visuals into my Desktop before. Now I want to get rid of it from my visual list so that I dont get warning in Service any more given that I dont need it at all. How can I do so?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PowerDAX
Resolver III
Resolver III

Just out of curiosity, I attempted to remove the visuals via the file extension trick.  With this, you change the report file extension from .pbix to .zip). Extract the zip file to a folder.  Browse to the Report --> Custom Visuals directory and remove the custom visualization that you don't need.  Zip the file back up and then rename the extension from .zip to .pbix.

This works to remove the visualization from the options but still gives the custom visualization prompt to enable them.

powerdax.com

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
BSD
Employee
Employee

There is a feature request "idea" that was submitted for this and has been started: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi/suggestions/10325889-enable-custom-visualization-wa...

gsloan

Yes...I agree with all of these posts.  I was very excited to download some new templates, but now I just want to remove them.  They are not working as expected, and I keep getting the warning message.

Agreed, there are a lot of bugs that need to be worked out before these can be fully utilized for everyday use. I got trigger happy and downloaded them all on day one and they did not perform like a Microsoft product. We need a fix, hopefully in the next service or monthly update. 

On top of basic functionality, this should not have been deployed or be available without warning that is still on beta.

We need a way to manage custom visuals before it can be used in a production environment (i.e.):

1) A library devided by type of chart, publisher, etc.

2) A way to manage visuals in power bi (folders, categories) if the expectation there will be many visuals available

3) Way to add/remove as needed from reports and app

4) How to identify new versions and/or easy way to be alerted when new version of existing visual is available.

SDP
Frequent Visitor

The whole custom visualization feature was rushed out. Here are the problems with custom visualizations:

• Anytime you open a report in Power BI Desktop or online, you will receive the custom visualization error.
  • Once you add them to a report, there is no way to remove them (see point one for why this sucks)
  • Any formatting you apply to a custom visualization is dropped when you publish the report. So colors, data markers for the bullet chart, etc. 

Custom visualizations are not ready for production use.

jjblanco
Frequent Visitor

I'm afraid I must agree, this all seemed rushed out the door... even if wonderfully powerful, there are all the previously mentioned issues and most annoying is that once you have "played" with a custom visual in ANY report on your pbix file or workspace in PowerBI.com, then there is no way to get rid of the warning (even when the visuals, the reports that had them, EVERYTHING has been removed!).

So here's my 2 cents in the hope that MS fixes this soon.

PowerDAX
Resolver III
Resolver III

Just out of curiosity, I attempted to remove the visuals via the file extension trick.  With this, you change the report file extension from .pbix to .zip). Extract the zip file to a folder.  Browse to the Report --> Custom Visuals directory and remove the custom visualization that you don't need.  Zip the file back up and then rename the extension from .zip to .pbix.

This works to remove the visualization from the options but still gives the custom visualization prompt to enable them.

powerdax.com

This solution dont works for me

Unfortunately, the latest version of Power BI Desktop seem to check the file's signature, and since the manual removal of the visual changes it, there won't be a match, and a file-is-corrupt message is shown.

Hi!

I managed to remove the custom visual warning, by opening the pbix file as an archive and editing the layout file.

Yu will find inside a json file describing the report structure. you need to remove the "resourcePackages" property which in my case was:

,"resourcePackages":[{"resourcePackage":{"name":"CardWithStatesBySQLBI1445315565700","items":[{"path":"icon.png","type":3},{"path":"CardWithStatesBySQLBI.js","type":0},{"path":"CardWithStatesBySQLBI.css","type":1}]}}]

And that's all... I hope this will be useful for the community.

How MS could possibe missed this as an IDE option?

Francisco.

ai3.fr

I had to use a combination of PowerDax and Fransico's solutions with a caveat. I had to leave "resourcePackages":[ ] in the layout file. Change back to pbix and acknowledge the warning one last time. Looking at the layout file again the resourcePackages option was gone. Open up as pbix one more time and no warning. Otherwise I was getting a corrupt file error.

Hope this helps!

Thanks much, this worked great

Thanks everyone for the great feedback on custom visuals.  We're really excited that we could share the feature with you early and get your feedback :).  You'll be happy to see us making progress on just about all of the items on the list.  The issues related to persisting formatting changes should already be fixed in production, so I would encourage you to give that another try. The next change will be to minimize how often you get the custom visuals warning - that should be in production very soon.  We are planning the work to remove custom visuals from reports and will make progress on that in the comming weeks/months depending on engineering requirements.  Would encourage you all to create ideas on the community for the other asks so we can keep you updated on what is being worked on and what has been released.  Thank you so much for your feedback and using this feature.

I love that the custom visual gallery now has a reference to version and upgrade date for each visual.

What would really help is to be able to sort by update release date (rather than just name or first added date)

Also,

Is there any update on a way to remove custom visuals (not replace with update) in a report pbix file without digging into the code.

It seems the May update is causing some grief with reports unless you ensure you have the latest suite of custom visuals from 4th June.

rhouse
Helper I
Helper I

According to this: https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/759888-add-a-custom-visualization-to-a-power-bi-r... once you add a custom visual you cannot remove it from a report 😞 I guess that means we are stuck with the warning unless we rebuild the report?

rhouse
Helper I
Helper I

I have the same issue. I have removed any custom visuals from my report but the warning still appears. I do not want to have to rebuild the whole report to remove it. 

gerbenhk

Same question from me, anyone an idea how to get rid of it?

I don't think you can remove them from a report at the moment, however as noted here - http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/New-bespoke-visualisations-not-retained-in-Power-BI-Desktop/...  

They are included per report, if you close PBI Descktop and open a new blank report they wont be there any more

I thought you would only get a warnig if you had actually used a custom visulisation in a report though. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.