Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

"shouldn't have effective identity" error when passing identity to embedded report with no RLS

Hello,

I have an .Net core website that uses power bi embedded, and I am finding that I am getting this specific error when I am passing an identity to a report with no RLS configured.

{"error":{"code":"InvalidRequest","message":"Creating embed token for accessing dataset 1002bdf6-eeeb-47f8-88d9-eccf616f0da9
shouldn't have effective identity"}}

The code segment is below

try
            {
                var azureTokenData = await _authenticationHandler.GetAzureTokenDataAsync();

using (var powerBiClient = new PowerBIClient(new Uri(_powerBiSettings.MainAddress), azureTokenData.tokenCredentials))
                {
                    var powerBiReport = await powerBiClient.Reports.GetReportAsync(_powerBiSettings.GroupId, id.ToString());

var rowLevelSecurityIdentity = new List<EffectiveIdentity>
                    {
                        new EffectiveIdentity("MasterUser", //TODO: Change this to use azure identity
                            roles: new List<string> {"User"},
                            datasets: new List<string> {powerBiReport.DatasetId})
                    };

var powerBiTokenRequestParameters = new GenerateTokenRequest("view", null, identities: rowLevelSecurityIdentity);

var powerBiTokenResponse = await powerBiClient.Reports.GenerateTokenInGroupAsync(_powerBiSettings.GroupId, powerBiReport.Id, powerBiTokenRequestParameters);

return new ReportDetail
                    {
                        Id = Guid.Parse(powerBiReport.Id),
                        Name = powerBiReport.Name,
                        EmbedUrl = powerBiReport.EmbedUrl,
                        AccessToken = powerBiTokenResponse.Token
                    };
                }
            }
            catch (HttpOperationException ex)
            {
                // Response content contains more specific API error details
                _logger.LogError(ex, ex.Response.Content);
                throw;
            }

The current workaround is just to add a 1 role RLS rule with no DAX expression to every report. But I was wondering if I am doing something wrong, since the expected behavior is that if we pass an identity to a report with no RLS it should just ignore the identity and present the report, under the assumption that anyone is supposed to see this report.

Is there some way to avoid this error properly?

Thanks, 

3 REPLIES 3
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

The report without RLS defined should use the the identity withour the Effective identity.

generateTokenRequestParameters = new GenerateTokenRequest(accessLevel: "view");

The Sample implement the following:

GenerateTokenRequest generateTokenRequestParameters;
                    // This is how you create embed token with effective identities
                    if (!string.IsNullOrEmpty(username))
                    {
                        var rls = new EffectiveIdentity(username, new List<string> { report.DatasetId });
                        if (!string.IsNullOrWhiteSpace(roles))
                        {
                            var rolesList = new List<string>();
                            rolesList.AddRange(roles.Split(','));
                            rls.Roles = rolesList;
                        }
                        // Generate Embed Token with effective identities.
                        generateTokenRequestParameters = new GenerateTokenRequest(accessLevel: "view", identities: new List<EffectiveIdentity> { rls });
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        // Generate Embed Token for reports without effective identities.
                        generateTokenRequestParameters = new GenerateTokenRequest(accessLevel: "view");
                    }

The UI has string defined with two Input Boxes, which is used to identify whether it need to generate the Effective Identity.

Which I think you may take a try with a similar way.

Regards,

Michael

Anonymous
Not applicable

I see, but this only works if there is no login session at all. What we have is a situation where all employees of a company login into the web application that has Power Bi embedded. There are a certain set of reports that do not have RLS and are available to everyone in the company, yet they still have an Azure AD login session with PrincipalCase including email adresses and such. 

All users would have a username which we would be using the Azure AD Email address, they are defaulted to a generic role of "employee" so there is no case where their username is null or empty, so we end up passing all the identity information to all reports regardless of the report implementing RLS. 

The reports with RLS will embed successfully, but reports that have no RLS will fail to embed since we are passing it identity information that it doesn't need. 

This is still an issue almost two years later. Should I just catch the exception and then retry with passing no RLS? That sounds like a bad implementation to me. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.