Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Buttsj
Frequent Visitor

"pbiviz package" does not update visual's capabilities, but "pbiviz start" does

Hi,

I only started having this issue today, where I'll run pbiviz start and see the correct Format/capabilities on my visual (in the web app), but when I use pbiviz package it is stuck on an older version of my capabilities (for both web app/Desktop). Anyone deal with this issue?

edit: I was running on the pbiviz version 1.8.1, so I updated to v1.9.0 and both versions have the same issue.

edit2: I opened the pbiviz file in notepad and can see the correct Capabilities code (like the displayName, properties, etc.) so I know it is building this correctly. For whatever reason it isn't updating correctly after importing into PBI though...

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Buttsj
Frequent Visitor

Okay I figured it out - I recently put this visual into the AppSource store and I believe that was why I couldn't see any changes to the Capabilities. My solution was to change the "guid" in the pbiviz.json file and now I see a the new Capabilities.

View solution in original post

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

You're absolutely correct. Power BI loads CV from our CDN if the visual is approved by App Source.

That means that you should use another GUID or pbiviz start for development purposes.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Buttsj
Frequent Visitor

Okay I figured it out - I recently put this visual into the AppSource store and I believe that was why I couldn't see any changes to the Capabilities. My solution was to change the "guid" in the pbiviz.json file and now I see a the new Capabilities.

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

You're absolutely correct. Power BI loads CV from our CDN if the visual is approved by App Source.

That means that you should use another GUID or pbiviz start for development purposes.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

An other option with the Power BI service is: add '?approvedResourcesDisabled=true' to the url to skip the CDN loading of approved visuals.

-JP

Nishantjain
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@jppp 

Is there a similar option for Power BI Desktop. I am trying to test a new version of my visual in Power BI Desktop but it suffers with the same problem that it is loading the approved version from CDN instead of the local pbiviz file that I have. 

Thanks

Nishant

Hi @Nishantjain,

To test updating an already published visual in Power BI Desktop, the only solution I've found that works for me is to temporarily modify the GUID, package and test, as per this post's solution. It makes it tricky ensuring that everything is ready prior to submission to the marketplace - although as long as the latest version of your visual code is uploaded into your sampl workbook, even though it displays the previous version, it will submit okay.

Alternatively, I've had mixed results by using tools such as clumsy to block access to my network when I load the visual via desktop so that the CDN call can't go through and load the marketplace version. This isn't always consistent for me though, so the GUID change is usually what I do.

Not sure if this helps much, but thought I'd weigh in.

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Power BI Desktop caches custom visuals and downloads the latest version of the visuals from the CDN network once in a while. Probably that is the reason that clumsy is not always working.

So indeed changing the GUID to a temp version is the preferred way to (extra) test your visuals in Power BI Desktop.

-JP

Hi I've tried running the command: pbiviz start from it's root directory and yet I keep getting the error message: PbivizError.PNG

could anybody help me with this?

I've generated the local SSL certificate and even installed the same step-wise sequentially

What node.js version do you use?

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Probably 10.2.1 or 10.2.0

But definitely in the range of 10.

It seems you use a very old version of node.js that comes with Visual Studio.

Have you tried to install a LTS Node.js?

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors