Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SFerro

power bi integration with web app

Hello,

We have a requirement to integrate Power BI into our web application to be able to create Reports, Datasets and Dashboards from our application. But we have the following doubts;

I) We found that there are 3 ways to integrate the power bi reports into an application. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egP0GHSOUIM)

• Publish to web.
  • REST API(JavaScript)
  • Power bi embedded(Needs Azure subscription/workspaces)

1. We want to know what are the differences between these options especially 2 and 3? Since we are thinking that for both 2 and 3 we will require Power BI account.
  2. Which option show be preferable for integration?
  3. We are thinking to go with option2. Are there any drawbacks/limitations with this option i.e. are there any features which are not available in option 2 and available with option 3?

II) We want to Provide an option to create the report, dashboard and dataset with live connection from our custom web application. We have installed on premises Gateway for it. So,

1. Is it possible to create new report with existing dataset or new dataset using the REST API JavaScript from our custom web application?
  2. Is it possible to create a new dataset with live connection using the REST API JavaScript?
  3. Is it possible to create new Dashboard with existing dataset or  new dataset using the REST API JavaScript from our custom web application?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

I) We found that there are 3 ways to integrate the power bi reports into an application. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egP0GHSOUIM)

• Publish to web.
  • REST API(JavaScript)
  • Power bi embedded(Needs Azure subscription/workspaces)

1. We want to know what are the differences between these options especially 2 and 3? Since we are thinking that for both 2 and 3 we will require Power BI account.
  2. Which option show be preferable for integration?
  3. We are thinking to go with option2. Are there any drawbacks/limitations with this option i.e. are there any features which are not available in option 2 and available with option 3?

@SFerro

1. The main difference is, for option 2, the reports embeded are hosted in powerbi.com, any people who'd like to access the embedded reports needs a Power BI account. This is the same way as powerbi.com, you share some reports, people who'd like to view them have to login in powerbi.com as well. for option 3, the reports embedded are hosted in a Azure workspace(you uoload pbix files to the workspace), there's no account and you shall control who can access the reports embedding page in your own web application.
  2. Which is preferable is depends on your requirement and license compliance. Based on my understanding, Power BI Embedded is for sharing reports to external users. For internal users in your orginazation, you have to choose option 2.
  3. Option 2 has more features. Eg "schedule refresh feature" and "Embed dashboards".

II) We want to Provide an option to create the report, dashboard and dataset with live connection from our custom web application. We have installed on premises Gateway for it. So,

1. Is it possible to create new report with existing dataset or new dataset using the REST API JavaScript from our custom web application?
  2. Is it possible to create a new dataset with live connection using the REST API JavaScript?
  3. Is it possible to create new Dashboard with existing dataset or  new dataset using the REST API JavaScript from our custom web application?

Overall, there's no reports designer UI when embedding your reports in your custom web application. And for REST API, you can only create datasets and push data, no API to create reports or dashboards.

Hello,
As per your response, we cannot create new Reports/Dashboards after integrating Power BI into our web application. However we foudn a demo which allows to View, Edit and Create Reports. Refer https://microsoft.github.io/PowerBI-JavaScript/demo/code-demo/index.html.

Is it possible to use the Rest API and Create/Edit Reports and Dadhboards through our application?

Thanks

@SFerro wrote:

Hello,
As per your response, we cannot create new Reports/Dashboards after integrating Power BI into our web application. However we foudn a demo which allows to View, Edit and Create Reports. Refer https://microsoft.github.io/PowerBI-JavaScript/demo/code-demo/index.html.

Is it possible to use the Rest API and Create/Edit Reports and Dadhboards through our application?

Thanks

@SFerro

I'm so sorry for that misleading! Smiley Frustrated I didn't realized that  the demo was updated. It was not able to create/edit reports via javascript API but now it is working!Smiley LOL

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors