Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bluefrog
Advocate I
Advocate I

pbiviz start error "Failed to generate visualPlugin.ts"

I am learning about powerbi. I am doing fine until I have to create the custom visuals. I did according to the instruction. However, when I run the command pbiviz start, I received the following error.

ErrorError

I just started learning powerbi a week ago and I have no idea how to solve it. And I tried to apply the solutions I have found online but all of them couldn't solve my issue. It's been three days that I am stuck here. Can someone help me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @Bluefrog,

From looking at your error message, it looks like it might be related to this issue with Webpack.

If you're running v17 of nodejs, it may be worth downgrading to the current LTS version (16) and trying again, or waiting for this issue to be resolved and a newer version of powerbi-visuals-tools with an updated webpack, once that issue has been resolved.

If you're on a recent version of nodejs (but not 17), then I would suggest creating an issue in the powerbi-visuals-tools repository for the team to investigate, as what you're experiencing is definitely not a common issue.

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @Bluefrog,

From looking at your error message, it looks like it might be related to this issue with Webpack.

If you're running v17 of nodejs, it may be worth downgrading to the current LTS version (16) and trying again, or waiting for this issue to be resolved and a newer version of powerbi-visuals-tools with an updated webpack, once that issue has been resolved.

If you're on a recent version of nodejs (but not 17), then I would suggest creating an issue in the powerbi-visuals-tools repository for the team to investigate, as what you're experiencing is definitely not a common issue.

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Hi @dm-p ,

Thank you very much for the solution. I had stucked with this issue. I uninstalled v17 of nodejs and reinstalled v16 according to your instruction. Now I got no issue when I run pbiviz start command. Thank you so much.

Sincerely,

BlueFrog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors