Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

pbiviz Certificate not found NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID Error

Hello, I am having a lot of problems with pbiviz, I installed the certificate using:

pbiviz --install-cert

on powershell

but I still get the message 

" warn Local valid certificate not found."

When initializing "pbiviz start" and then getting the message on the browser NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

This results in being unable to visualize the custom visual on the developer environment.

I tried:

• Installing the certificate in diferent routes.
  • rebooting my computer.
  • upgrading to windows pro.
  • reinstalling the certificates.
  • importing the certificates manually.
  • asking chatGPT who replied with ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Please help.

Or there is an option to visualise the custom visual locally

6 REPLIES 6
Adamboer
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Make sure you are running the latest version of pbiviz by running the command npm install -g powerbi-visuals-tools@latest in PowerShell.
  2. Run the command pbiviz --clean to remove any previously installed certificates.
  3. Re-run the command pbiviz --install-cert and make sure you see the message "Local certificate successfully installed."
  4. Check if the certificate is listed in the Trusted Root Certification Authorities by going to Start Menu > Run > certmgr.msc > Trusted Root Certification Authorities > Certificates.
  5. If the certificate is not listed, try importing it manually by right-clicking on the .cer file and selecting "Install Certificate."
  6. If the issue still persists, try visualizing the custom visual locally by running the command pbiviz start --no-ssl instead of pbiviz start.

Hope this helps resolve your issue. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

"--clean" is not a valid option for pbiviz, and "--no-ssl" is not a valid option for pbiviz start.

Hi @Anonymous  - I'm now getting the same error as you all of a sudden, did you end up finding a resolution to the issue?

Like you noted, the "--clean" and "--no-ssl" options are unknown for me too.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's been a while and I'm afraid that I can't remember the fix exactly, but I do recall that this thread is entirely a red herring. It had nothing to do with correctly installing the certificate.

Wish I could be more helpful, but our organization has realized that Power BI simply cannot meet our data needs, and have moved on from it. In particular, the limitation on the amount of data that can be handed to custom visuals was crippling. So I haven't worked with it for quite some time.

Hi @Anonymous - thanks very much for the reply!

You're absolutely right that it was a red herring - I followed the recommended steps in this Github issue thread here, essentially:

Hopefully this helps anyone else out that finds this thread.

v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Before you start development, you'll need to install node.js and the pbiviz package. Then, when your local environment is set up, you'll need to configure Power BI service for developing a Power BI visual.

Here is a documnent aboout this:

Setting up an environment for developing a Power BI visual - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Hope it could help you.

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.