Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AliT
Frequent Visitor

live connection problem

I have exported a report to my account on the powerBI Plateform on the cloud, report and its dataset.  I tried to create a live connection to the exported dataset but i get this message "We couldn't connect to your model in the Power BI Service. The dataset may have been deleted, renamed, moved, or it is possible that you don't have permission to access it." Please note the following:

• I am using the same account at the power BI desktop and at the Power BI service, so this account is the owner of the dataset
  • I am using the last version of the power BI desktop "Version: 2.88.1682.0 64-bit (décembre 2020)"

Thanks for the help in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @AliT ,

I can get the same error message when I connect to dataset with the version 2.88.XXX.Recently, the new version(Version: 2.90.782.0 64-bit (February 2021)) has been published, please try to upgrade the version of your Power BI Desktop to latest one and check whether the problem still persist. I just test it with latest version, it works in my side...

yingyinr_0-1614220246934.pngyingyinr_2-1614220278636.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
AliT
Frequent Visitor

I apologize for the late response. thank you yingynr for your response. However, itried the last version , 2.91.884.0 64-bit (mars 2021), and i still get the same message. Quite frankly i do not know who labeled the problem as solve, i did not. I appreciate any other ideas to try. thanks.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Users need build permission on your original dataset.

AliT
Frequent Visitor

As I stated in the original problem statement, I am using the same account at the power BI desktop and at the Power BI service, so this account that I am using to create the live connection is the owner of the dataset, which is, to my knowledege, the highest permission level. I also tried another user and gave him the build permission on the dataset, but still got the same message.  I am wondering if you have tried the live connection on the latest power BI Desktop version (Version: 2.88.1682.0 64-bit (décembre 2020)) ? Thanks.

Hi @AliT ,

I can get the same error message when I connect to dataset with the version 2.88.XXX.Recently, the new version(Version: 2.90.782.0 64-bit (February 2021)) has been published, please try to upgrade the version of your Power BI Desktop to latest one and check whether the problem still persist. I just test it with latest version, it works in my side...

yingyinr_0-1614220246934.pngyingyinr_2-1614220278636.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

is this on a shared capacity or on Premium? 

AliT
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your response lbendlin, we are not on premium. To be more detailed,  we use the power BI solution using Power BI Pro licenses.  i have created many workspaces, and apps from these workspaces, then I shared the apps with the users from our organization. Since I have the same datasets that are consumed by more than one report in different workspace, i wanted to use live update so i can read the dataset from the DW one time, and then have the various reports in different workspaces connect to it.  I hope my answer is clear enough. Thanks again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.