Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

integrating the report in a web application with single sign on

I have done the following.

1. I built a report using power bi desktop and published to the power bi service.

2. I set up row level security to restrict users to access based on the role and user id.

3. i used the Integrate a report into an app sample, to integrate the report in my app.

4. My question is, when the user logs in to my web application, I want to pass the same user id to the power bi service so that when the report comes into the web app, it is filtered based on the role for the user.

5. I do not want the user to log in to power bi service again.

6. I am not using power bi embedded report concept, as the users will have to separtely buy the service.

Any help will be appreciated.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
7 REPLIES 7
jocaplan-MSFT
Employee
Employee

If you are not using Power BI Embedded than your users will need to log in at least once to connect your app to Power BI and consent to permissions. After this is don't, you shouldn't need to prompt them again unless their password changes. The AAD documentation should have some more details on this: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/active-directory-authentication-scenarios/.

Thanks for providing the details about the integration.

I am looking for a similar requirement where in the power bi reports will be integrated with existing application. 

I need clarification about the cost in this case, are we going to be billed as one user in this case or what about the cost details because my application which hosts the power bi reports are being accessed by 50k users. Please confirm.

Hi @rak,

I am having similar requirement where reports generated need to be shared with 1000 users.

1. If am using a Power BI Embedded how much cost effective the approach would be.
  2. If using Content Packs then, 1000 users need to sign up with a Pro license, hence cost would go up.
  3. Is there any way where we can share the reports with the users on a single portal as per their respective roles in a cost effective manner.

Thanks

@jocaplan-MSFT

Hi ,

Thanks for the reply. It answers part of my question.

To make it more clearer.

1. The user logins to the business app with a user id and password.

2. This userid could be different from the user id created for power bi service.

3. in such cases how to ahcieve or pass on the appropriate power bi user id when the uer clikcs on the link for reports that will direct to the power bi service.

Best

Cheenusing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!

any solution about this problem in power bi report server too?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.