Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chandramouli
Helper I
Helper I

identifying themes and doing sentiment analysis in text analytics using Power BI

Suppose if there are about 8000 ought records and the responses do not have a central theme ...such that some of the responses aare about a particular product, some about the infrastructure, some about the process...the requirement is to seperate the themes and then do the sentimental analysis on them...can someone please throw light on how is to be done in power BI

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@chandramouli

In this case, try to create a calculated column. If the real data is not as cleaning as the sample, you may need some extra data cleaning work(not in Power BI). The best option would be classifying the comment when inputing, eg using some droplist having the themes and save the themes along with comment.

themes = 
SWITCH (
    TRUE (),
    TRUE ()
        && SEARCH ( "manager", Table[Comment],, 0 ) > 0, "manager",
    TRUE ()
        && SEARCH ( "infrastructure", Table[Comment],, 0 ) > 0, "infrastructure",
    TRUE ()
        && SEARCH ( "R&D", Table[Comment],, 0 ) > 0, "R&D"
)

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@chandramouli

Is there any column indicating what the row is about in your records? Please give some sample and be more specific.

Hi Eric,

Please below the sample file that I am talking about 

Comment Employee ID 
My manager has good knowledge on statistics 101
The  infrastructure of my company is sufficient for all purposes312
Managers in my business unit have a lot of work132
The R&D business unit of my company is pretty good101
My manager gives me a lot of work345
My company has good infrastructure for research456
Managers in my business unit follow processes strictly 836
My Company has excellent infrastructure for development 98
The R&D business unit of my company has a lot of opportunity to develop new patents906
All Managers at my company are well trained567

Here I want PowerBI to classify the topics infrastructure, manager and R&D andd provide me sentiment analysis on the same...Please let me know how should I  go about it 

@chandramouli

In this case, try to create a calculated column. If the real data is not as cleaning as the sample, you may need some extra data cleaning work(not in Power BI). The best option would be classifying the comment when inputing, eg using some droplist having the themes and save the themes along with comment.

themes = 
SWITCH (
    TRUE (),
    TRUE ()
        && SEARCH ( "manager", Table[Comment],, 0 ) > 0, "manager",
    TRUE ()
        && SEARCH ( "infrastructure", Table[Comment],, 0 ) > 0, "infrastructure",
    TRUE ()
        && SEARCH ( "R&D", Table[Comment],, 0 ) > 0, "R&D"
)

Capture.PNG

Hi Eric,

Thanks a lot for your help!.. This works.:) Excited....Also can you please let me know if it is possible to create Word clouds in Power BI..

Thanks,

Arun

@chandramouli

You can download the WordCloud visual.

Hi All.

I am trying to do the sentiment analysis for the following statements but trying to categorize them first by keywords and then do the analysis. Please find below the sample.

Comment Employee ID 
My manager has good knowledge on statistics 101
The  infrastructure of my company is sufficient for all purposes312
Managers in my business unit have a lot of work132
The R&D business unit of my Company is pretty good101
My manager gives me a lot of work345
My Company has good infrastructure for research456
Managers in my business unit follow processes strictly 836
My Company has excellent infrastructure for development 98
The R&D business unit of My Company has a lot of opportunity to develop new patents906
All Managers at My Company are well trained567

So I want to categorize by keywords "manager", "R&D", "Infrastructure" and then do the sentiment analysis . I am trying to use the nested if statement for the same... So I need to search for these words for each line and then do the sentiment analysis. Can some one please help me with the same...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.