Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rajaachatterji

how do I duplicate a workspace

I need to duplicate a workspace which includes several Dashboards, Reports & Datasets. I need all of them from the Original one to a new workspace. How can I do it? Help required urgently. I can be contacted at: rajaa.chatterji@unifysolutions.net

6 REPLIES 6
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi,

You may follow the blog below:

Duplicate workspaces using the Power BI REST APIs: a step by step tutorial

Regards,

Michael

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having trouble with using script for duplicating workspace. I would like to know, if anyone has managed to duplicate workspace over powershell script that is described here

Duplicate workspace with powershell

I am getting an error while duplicating dashboards. with reports I have no problems. 

Error is shown below

image.png

Thanks

Borut

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous,

did you assign the required permissions to the native app?

for getting tiles you will need the Tile.Read.All and for the dashboards the Dashboard.Read.All.

Hope it helps,

Thanos

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous

I have followed the steps:

1. Install PowerShell and the Azure PowerShell cmdlets
  2. Download the PowerShell script
  3. Next, you will need a AAD client ID – you can get this in a few easy clicks from our app registration portal. For app type, select native app. For redirect URI, you can enter urn:ietf:wg:oauth:2.0:oob. Under API access, be sure to check all the boxes
  4. Take the client ID you received in the step above and paste it into line 3 of the script
  5. Run PowerShell as administrator and navigate to the directory where you downloaded the script
  6. > ./copyWorkspace.ps1

From APP registration portal I have checked next

Dataset APIs
Read All Datasets
Read and Write All Datasets
Report and Dashboard APIs
Read All Dashboards
Read All Reports
Read and Write All Reports
Other APIs
Read All Groups
Create Content

Regards, 
Borut
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous,

I think that it will need some debugging from your side. The problem seems to be arised from the request in this line of the script. You could probably add some debug messages in order to see what's going on.

I also quote some of the limitations of the script as mentioned in the step-by-step guide:

"Note that as-is, this script has some limitations.

• Since we use the export and import PBIX APIs to copy datasets, we can only copy the datasets that were built in Power BI Desktop – i.e. streaming datasets, samples, etc., cannot be copied
  • You must have edit permissions on the source workspace, since edit permissions are required for export PBIX
  • This script won’t copy over refresh schedules, alerts, subscriptions, or workspace memberships – those will have to be manually recreated on the target workspace"

Additionally, this comment from Gregory Turner in the tutorial may be useful to you:

"Unfortunately, the piece that clones Tiles only works for pinned tiles from reports. Tiles with links do not get cloned right and the API seems to have no option for resetting properties".

Regards,

Thanos

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous

Thank you for comprehensive feedback. I have checked all the limitations that you have paste to the post. I have to say, that all my tiles are pinned from the report that exists. I also have tried to copy different workspaces. For example: small model, small report and dashboard, but without success. 

Line you have marked in the code. I will check it, create some messages in order to get that line out printed and posted here. 

Challenge 😉

Thanks

Borut

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors