Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

orforf
Frequent Visitor

different reports for different users - Power BI Embedded App Owns Data

How would i go about allowing my users to create and use their own personal custom reports inside an application.

At the moment on a basic level I can see it working as the user creates a report and then I would store the report ID and userId together then when the user would like to retrieve the report a call would be made to the api through the power bi tenant to retrieve the reports for the user.

My question; am i heading in the right direction, how scalable is this and what are some limitations I might come across?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TedPattison
Employee
Employee

I think there are two designs you could use.

1. Create a new app workspace for each user. That way you can easily save and load reports for each user without having to track out-of-band info in a DB to associated users with their reports. Yes, you might be creating 100s of app workspaces - but it can be managed and scaled using code to automate creation and maintance. This approach will become more attractive once Microsoft begins to support datasets that can be shared across app workspaces.

2. Create a single app workspace and also create an underlying database so you can track which reports are owned by each user. I am not sure what the limit is to the number of reports that can be stored in a single app workspace. However, I think managing content through the standard Power BI portal at https://app.powerbi.com would get tricky once you have 100s of reports. Therefore, you might need to created a custom application to manage content for users who have created reports.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TedPattison
Employee
Employee

I think there are two designs you could use.

1. Create a new app workspace for each user. That way you can easily save and load reports for each user without having to track out-of-band info in a DB to associated users with their reports. Yes, you might be creating 100s of app workspaces - but it can be managed and scaled using code to automate creation and maintance. This approach will become more attractive once Microsoft begins to support datasets that can be shared across app workspaces.

2. Create a single app workspace and also create an underlying database so you can track which reports are owned by each user. I am not sure what the limit is to the number of reports that can be stored in a single app workspace. However, I think managing content through the standard Power BI portal at https://app.powerbi.com would get tricky once you have 100s of reports. Therefore, you might need to created a custom application to manage content for users who have created reports.

Thanks for your response Ted

The app workspace for each user seems like the right approach for me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.