Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AliSafa
Advocate I
Advocate I

difference between Page Refresh and a normal refresh

Hi Folks,

what is the difference between the option "Page Refresh", which we would have a refresh even every second!!! and the normal refresh that is possible only 48 times per day with a Premium license?

I mean if both options refresh the data, why would we be limited to only 48 times?

why not choose the Page refresh option to be refreshed every 5 seconds instead?!

thank you

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@AliSafa Page refresh just refreshes the visuals on the page from the current data. Normal refresh actually refreshes the data from the source systems. Page refresh does not refresh the data from the source systems.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

thanks Greg, So it means
lets say ,a new row has added to my sql table, so the Page Refresh would not detect it, am i right?
it means that if i really need to refresh the data/values from the source, i can not rely on this Page Refresh option?

@AliSafa Correct.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks Greg
i just did a quick test, i created a table in sql server, and put some values in there, then i set up the page refresh option with interval 2 seconds for my power bi report, direct query to my sql table.
as soon as i add or modify something in my sql table, i can see that change immidiately effected in power bi report.
but when i publish it into the workspace, the changes will be shown in about 15 min.

so i guess power Bi Desktop Page Refresh works good. it would capture the new fresh data and other changes from the source.
the only issue is: in power bi workspace it takes a little long to be effected.
so again it makes me more confused about why we dont use this nice option instead of a normal refresh!! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.