Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shivprasads
Frequent Visitor

data passing between 2 custom visuals on the same page

Hi All,

Need help with data passing between 2 custom visuals. I have 2 custom visual in a single page and i was to send some data to and fro between them on certain events.

Using plotly to plot the graph.

Basic idea is to set data in one visual and be able to read it from another one.

we have 2 custom visuals similar to line charts, the requirement is to get the visual zoomed if another one is zoomed into. so both the visuals are in sync. 

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @shivprasads,

Current custom visual seems not contains functions to direct loading/extracting data from other visuals. The interactions of visuals are based on the underline table fields and row contents that visual used instead of direct send/receive data between visuals.

How visuals cross-filter each other in a Power BI report 

For your scenario, I think you can try to use update event and invoke the local storage API to saving data, then you can write coding in second visual events to loading data from the storage data.

Local Storage API 

Render events in Power BI visuals 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @shivprasads,

Current custom visual seems not contains functions to direct loading/extracting data from other visuals. The interactions of visuals are based on the underline table fields and row contents that visual used instead of direct send/receive data between visuals.

How visuals cross-filter each other in a Power BI report 

For your scenario, I think you can try to use update event and invoke the local storage API to saving data, then you can write coding in second visual events to loading data from the storage data.

Local Storage API 

Render events in Power BI visuals 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the inputs here, I can look into using the Local Storage API to store the information from the 1st custom visual, what would be the ideal way to read the same from the 2nd custom visual, the use case here would be to have multiple interactions, like zoom into 1 visual should sync the zoom level to the 2nd one and vice versa.

Hi @shivprasads,

Yes, I know you may want to use custom visuals to achieve fully sync-able visual like the default 'sync' slicer.
AFAIK, 'sync' slicer uses the same slicer which hosts on different pages to achieve sync filter on the same visual and the power bi team seems not to release the related functions to custom visual API lists. 

So current you may not fully achieve your requirements based on custom visual and correspond api. You can share your idea to suggest power bi team to open more functions and properties to design more powerful custom visuals.
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors