Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AliSafa
Advocate I
Advocate I

data flow times out during creation

Hi Folks,

I'm getting time-out error while I put a sql code in the advance option in the dataflow creation window.

I put even 180 minutes for the command time out option but it fails after about 15-20 min.

does anyone know how to resolve it?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AliSafa ,

Could you tell me what kind of capacity your dataflows are? I think this may be caused by insufficient capacity. There are two kinds of capacities in Power BI, shared capacity(Pro) and dedicated capacity(Premium).

Microsoft allocates different amounts of resources for each level of capacity.

There are limitations on resources in different capacity. When the rescoures are not enough to support you to refresh or send query to local and load data, Power BI will return error.

For reference:  Microsoft Power BI Premium whitepaper

Since all the users of Power BI are sharing the same set of machines (also referred to as the “shared capacity”), controls are in place to make sure that a few users cannot monopolize all the shared capacity in the cluster and disrupt the quality of service for others. Many of the published restrictions of Power BI, like the 1GB model size or the limitation on the number of refreshes per day, are driven by the need to secure excellent quality of service for everyone.

Premium —— dedicated capacity will make us exceeding the limitions like amount of v-cores, RAM,refresh times in one day... and so on.

There is a big difference in resources for different SKU's Premium.

For reference:

What is Power BI Premium?

Power BI Premium FAQ

RicoZhou_0-1651221023989.png

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AliSafa ,

Could you tell me what kind of capacity your dataflows are? I think this may be caused by insufficient capacity. There are two kinds of capacities in Power BI, shared capacity(Pro) and dedicated capacity(Premium).

Microsoft allocates different amounts of resources for each level of capacity.

There are limitations on resources in different capacity. When the rescoures are not enough to support you to refresh or send query to local and load data, Power BI will return error.

For reference:  Microsoft Power BI Premium whitepaper

Since all the users of Power BI are sharing the same set of machines (also referred to as the “shared capacity”), controls are in place to make sure that a few users cannot monopolize all the shared capacity in the cluster and disrupt the quality of service for others. Many of the published restrictions of Power BI, like the 1GB model size or the limitation on the number of refreshes per day, are driven by the need to secure excellent quality of service for everyone.

Premium —— dedicated capacity will make us exceeding the limitions like amount of v-cores, RAM,refresh times in one day... and so on.

There is a big difference in resources for different SKU's Premium.

For reference:

What is Power BI Premium?

Power BI Premium FAQ

RicoZhou_0-1651221023989.png

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

thank you Rico for your reply,

our Capacity is PRO.  

Hi @AliSafa ,

As far as I know, this issue should be caused by the limitation of the shared capacity. You can try again at a time when the capacity workload is low.

You may refer to my above reply to learn more details.

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors