Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

circle card tutorial

I was able to successfully create the circle card from the Microsoft tutorial but then it stopped working for some reason. I tried several times to go thru the tutorial again and recreate it and it just won't work. Is the documentation outdated? Can anybody help me understand which parts needs to be tweaked to get it to work? Please advise. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/custom-visual-develop-tutorial

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

Yes the documentation is very out of date for the latest SDK, unfortunately 😞

You can make this work though - before you create the visual, you'll need to make sure the SDK is "downgraded" to work with the version in the tutorial. In this section, modify step 2 as from:

npm i -g powerbi-visuals-tools

to:

npm i -g powerbi-visuals-tools@2.5

You should then be able to continue the tutorial as normal.

Note that the latest SDK changes a lot of how visuals are built (which is the error you're probably seeing - there have been quite a few posts on this subject recently... hopefully MS will update the doc soon...), but the code concepts are pretty much the same, even though you're using an older version.

Good luck!

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

Yes the documentation is very out of date for the latest SDK, unfortunately 😞

You can make this work though - before you create the visual, you'll need to make sure the SDK is "downgraded" to work with the version in the tutorial. In this section, modify step 2 as from:

npm i -g powerbi-visuals-tools

to:

npm i -g powerbi-visuals-tools@2.5

You should then be able to continue the tutorial as normal.

Note that the latest SDK changes a lot of how visuals are built (which is the error you're probably seeing - there have been quite a few posts on this subject recently... hopefully MS will update the doc soon...), but the code concepts are pretty much the same, even though you're using an older version.

Good luck!

Daniel

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Anonymous
Not applicable

It looks like the tutorial but when I test it online it says it can't connect to the visual server.  Is there a fix for this too?

Anonymous
Not applicable

sorry I had to create a brand new certificate to get it to work.  It's all good now.  It's crazy that the tutorial on the website would steer you so wrong!  thanks for the help!

No probs! In fairness, the tutorial was correct... once 😉

But yes, I forgot to mention that a certificate regeneration is required - sorry about that. This needs to happen any time you update the tools BTW.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors