cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
powerBIdood Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

circle card tutorial

I was able to successfully create the circle card from the Microsoft tutorial but then it stopped working for some reason. I tried several times to go thru the tutorial again and recreate it and it just won't work. Is the documentation outdated? Can anybody help me understand which parts needs to be tweaked to get it to work? Please advise. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/custom-visual-develop-tutorial

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User I
Super User I

Re: circle card tutorial

Hi @powerBIdood,

Yes the documentation is very out of date for the latest SDK, unfortunately 😞

You can make this work though - before you create the visual, you'll need to make sure the SDK is "downgraded" to work with the version in the tutorial. In this section, modify step 2 as from:

npm i -g powerbi-visuals-tools

to:

npm i -g powerbi-visuals-tools@2.5

You should then be able to continue the tutorial as normal.

Note that the latest SDK changes a lot of how visuals are built (which is the error you're probably seeing - there have been quite a few posts on this subject recently... hopefully MS will update the doc soon...), but the code concepts are pretty much the same, even though you're using an older version.

Good luck!

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User I
Super User I

Hi @powerBIdood,

Yes the documentation is very out of date for the latest SDK, unfortunately 😞

You can make this work though - before you create the visual, you'll need to make sure the SDK is "downgraded" to work with the version in the tutorial. In this section, modify step 2 as from:

npm i -g powerbi-visuals-tools

to:

npm i -g powerbi-visuals-tools@2.5

You should then be able to continue the tutorial as normal.

Note that the latest SDK changes a lot of how visuals are built (which is the error you're probably seeing - there have been quite a few posts on this subject recently... hopefully MS will update the doc soon...), but the code concepts are pretty much the same, even though you're using an older version.

Good luck!

Daniel

View solution in original post

Frequent Visitor

It looks like the tutorial but when I test it online it says it can't connect to the visual server.  Is there a fix for this too?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

sorry I had to create a brand new certificate to get it to work.  It's all good now.  It's crazy that the tutorial on the website would steer you so wrong!  thanks for the help!

Super User I
Super User I

No probs! In fairness, the tutorial was correct... once 😉

But yes, I forgot to mention that a certificate regeneration is required - sorry about that. This needs to happen any time you update the tools BTW.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Coming Soon: T-Shirt Design Contest

Coming Soon: T-Shirt Design Contest

Keep your eyes open for our upcoming T-shirt design contest!

Meet the 2020 Season 1 Power BI Super Users!

Meet the 2020 Season 1 Power BI Super Users!

It’s the start of a new Super User season! Learn all about the new Super Users and brand-new tiered recognition system.

Super User Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Super User Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're celebrating the start of the New Super User season with our first ever Super User 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Power BI Desktop Update - February 2020

Power BI Desktop Update - February 2020

We are super excited for our update this month, as we are releasing two of our top community requests!

Power Platform Online Conference

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

Top Solution Authors