Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

cannot create a SelectionID

My custom visual is based on the sample bar chart from Microsoft. 

My capabiliteis.json

"dataRoles": [
    {
      "displayName": "Categories",
      "description": "Add your measure here to display its value in the card.",
      "name": "Categories",
      "kind": "Grouping"
    },
    {
      "displayName": "Actual Value",
      "description": "",
      "name": "Actual_Value",
      "kind": "Measure"
    },
    {
      "displayName": "Targets",
      "description": "",
      "name": "Targets",
      "kind": "Measure"
    },

My viewmodel

export function visualTransform(options: VisualUpdateOptions, visualSettings: VisualSettings, host: IVisualHost): IViewModel {

let dataViews = options.dataViews;
let dataView = dataViews[0];

let categorical = dataView.categorical; let category = categorical.categories[0]; let dataValue = categorical.values[0]; let selectionId: ISelectionId = host.createSelectionIdBuilder() .withCategory(category, 0) .createSelectionId(); .............................

Validated that all the input data are correct, It stops at the creating selectionID....Not sure why because it is basically the same as in the sample barchart.   Also how do I debug in this createselectionidbuilder?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

Thanks for the link - it was very helpful as the issue was not specifically in that part of the code. The host object in your createSelectionIdBuilder call is null at run time. Because of this, there is no method against it and the routine crashes out.

Add the following to your constructor function in visual.ts:

this.host = options.host;

This will ensure that when it is passed to your visualTransform call in the update method, that the host is actually instantiated with the correct object.

Here's my output for reference:

image.png

I didn't need to make any changes to the code in your function detailed above, so your undersanding of the selection ID stuff is all good 🙂

Hopefully you're on your way now!

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

Thanks for the link - it was very helpful as the issue was not specifically in that part of the code. The host object in your createSelectionIdBuilder call is null at run time. Because of this, there is no method against it and the routine crashes out.

Add the following to your constructor function in visual.ts:

this.host = options.host;

This will ensure that when it is passed to your visualTransform call in the update method, that the host is actually instantiated with the correct object.

Here's my output for reference:

image.png

I didn't need to make any changes to the code in your function detailed above, so your undersanding of the selection ID stuff is all good 🙂

Hopefully you're on your way now!

Daniel

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

Your code looks okay, based on the createSelectionIdBuilder() function spec.

This suggests to me that the DataViewCategoryColumn you are passing in is not a valid object.

Two things I would check:

1. That category contains an object when you attempt to retrieve it
  2. That the createSelectionIdBuilder call is actually being hit - if the above isn't working then this will be the case, as attempting to assign an index from a null-valued array will crash in your browser.

To assist debugging these two points, I'd re-write the code snippet as follows and look in your browser JS console when running:

console.log("1 - getting categorical dataview");
let categorical = dataView.categorical;

console.log("2 - getting category"); let category = categorical.categories[0];

console.log("3 - getting first category"); let dataValue = categorical.values[0];
console.log(" category:", category);
console.log("4 - creating selection ID");
let selectionId: ISelectionId = host.createSelectionIdBuilder() .withCategory(category, 0) .createSelectionId();

console.log("5 - done!");
console.log(" selection ID", selectionId);

I'm typing this in directly, so you might need to check for syntax errors.

If the happy path is hit, you'll see the following in your console:

1 - getting categorical dataview
2 - getting category
3 - getting first category
    category  [object details]
4 - creating selection ID
5 - done!
    selection ID  [object details]

If you see output for steps 1 and 2, but not 3, you can assume that the problem is between here, i.e. the let category = categorical.categories[0]; statement.

This is overkill and you wouldn't package it into your finished visual but sometimes it's a really good idea to be sure exactly where you think is failing, is actually failing.

You could also try this approach, but I personally haven't got on with it particularly well.

Hopefully this will help isolate. Let me know how you get on 🙂

Cheers,

Daniel

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @dm-p 

This is what I see...It looks that it died on the creating selectionID. How do I know what went wrong here? thanks

se.png

I agree that this is the failure point but would need to look at the code to ascertain further. Do you have a link you can share at all?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dm-p 

dropbox ok? See link below.  it is still in its early stage and it is a bit messy.  Let me know if you can see it.  Thanks.

Just Updated the link to public @dm-p , thanks!

dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

This suggests to me that the DataViewCategoryColumn you are passing in is not a valid object.

2. That the createSelectionIdBuilder call is actually being hit - if the above isn't working then this will be the case, as attempting to assign an index from a null-valued array will crash in your browser.

To assist debugging these two points, I'd re-write the code snippet as follows and look in your browser JS console when running:

console.log("3 - getting first category"); let dataValue = categorical.values[0];
let selectionId: ISelectionId = host.createSelectionIdBuilder() .withCategory(category, 0) .createSelectionId();

2 - getting category
5 - done!

If you see output for steps 1 and 2, but not 3, you can assume that the problem is between here, i.e. the let category = categorical.categories[0]; statement.

This is overkill and you wouldn't package it into your finished visual but sometimes it's a really good idea to be sure exactly where you think is failing, is actually failing.

You could also try this approach, but I personally haven't got on with it particularly well.

Cheers,

Daniel

dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

2 - getting category
5 - done!

Cheers,

Daniel

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.