cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rkqpbiviz Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

can't connect visual server - running local host and have installed correct certificates

Hello, 

First time posting, please forgive me if I've missed a similar thread elsewhere on the forum. I've installed the pbiviz tools, installed the certificates and am running the localhost before trying to open the dev visual on power bi  (please see attached screen grabs) I've followed all the steps to the letter including uninstalling and reinstalling all tools, certificates, etc. etc. What am I doing wrong?? Has anyone any advice?

pbiviz_problem1.PNGpbiviz_problem2.PNG

I've removed and reinstalled the certificates from the browser and user, restarted the computer about 5 times now, please if you've any idea what's wrong let me know!

thank you,

Rose

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
abinashphuel Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: can't connect visual server - running local host and have installed correct certificates

Ufff I found the solution, have the same problem as yours tries many different ways install and create certificate. 

One mistake I was doing earlier was not installing my certificate in proper location and the proper location was Trusted Root Certification Authorities. I always did first option.. uuuh

install-ssl-certificate-windows3.png

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: can't connect visual server - running local host and have installed correct certificates

@rkqpbiviz,

I do not have this issue, it's likely your SSL certificates weren't installed correctly.

https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-visuals/blob/master/tools/CertificateAddWindows.md

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
rkqpbiviz Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Ok, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the certificates several times, I've closed browsers and restarted the computer alot - I was able to get this working on an old windows 7 but not my laptop - windows 10. I've tried to change the port to run the server but still nothing 😞

Anyone else any advice other that 'it works for me'?

Mcburn Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Do you have a proxy in your Network?

mpo Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

This doesn't address your problem, but as a last resort, you could

pbiviz package

and import resulting file from /dist folder to PowerBI.

Willgart Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi all,

I have the problem using Edge, but with Chrome I can access the local server and test my custom visuals.

is there anything special to do with Edge?

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

@Willgart,

I just did a test using Microsoft Edge on Windows 10. It works so long as the server is listening on port 8080.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
prakash_gautam Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

It might help someone like me. Try another browser if you get the message in one. I was getting the message in Firefox but not in Chrome. Regards, Prakash
moeenuddin New Member

Hi, I am on Mac, Ran the server at 8080. But my power bi code is not connected with the server.

Please let me know, what i m missing.

petermcnally Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Similar issue here. I received the message in Chrome, which was very frustrating. However in Explorer and Edge it works. Odd and annoying.

Helpful resources

Announcements
October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Solution Badges

New Solution Badges

Two waves of brand new solution badges are coming! Read the article for more information on our new community badges.

Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 6 members 3,129 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: