Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bharamagouda
Frequent Visitor

bind to gateway API returning false success.

Hi

Tried to bind the dataset to gateway using API, 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt784650.aspx

unfortunately it is returning false success. (dataset is not binded to gateway).

Regards,

BG

4 REPLIES 4
Brown1MR
Regular Visitor

I'm trying similar thing through powershell using the Invoke-PowerBiRestMethod cmdlet.  I've used this successfully to show the gateways a dataset could be bound to so I know the cmdlet works.

Invoke-PowerBiRestMethod -Url 'datasets/02e5300c-7414-4f67-b93f-aaa2a93$$$$$/Default.DiscoverGateways' -Method Get

apon selecting one of the gatewayID's that are output above, I run the following :

Invoke-PowerBiRestMethod -Url 'datasets/02e5300c-7414-4f67-b93f-aaa2a93$$$$$/Default.BindToGateway' -Body bd3c507e-a56c-4ec1-ba8f-7b31cbb##### -Method Post

Getting the following error:

Invoke-PowerBiRestMethod : One or more errors occurred.
At line:1 char:1
+ Invoke-PowerBiRestMethod -Url 'datasets/02e5300c-7414-4f67-b93f-aaa2a ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : WriteError: (Microsoft.Power...werBIRestMethod:InvokePowerBIRestMethod) [Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod], Aggrega
teException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : One or more errors occurred.,Microsoft.PowerBI.Commands.Profile.InvokePowerBIRestMethod

then for more context :

Write-Host $error[0].Exception
System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: Response status code does not indicate success: 400 (Bad Request).
at System.Net.Http.HttpResponseMessage.EnsureSuccessStatusCode()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Commands.Profile.InvokePowerBIRestMethod.<InvokeRestMethod>d__31.MoveNext()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.GetResultCore(Boolean waitCompletionNotification)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Commands.Profile.InvokePowerBIRestMethod.ExecuteCmdlet()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Commands.Common.PowerBICmdlet.ProcessRecord()
---> (Inner Exception #0) System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: Response status code does not indicate success: 400 (Bad Request).
at System.Net.Http.HttpResponseMessage.EnsureSuccessStatusCode()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Commands.Profile.InvokePowerBIRestMethod.<InvokeRestMethod>d__31.MoveNext()<---

Why would this be reporting Bad Request

please advice, thank you !

Hi,

there are no details in your question except for the dataset Id, and the error you posted is way above what PowerBI returned, So without PowerBi's error message (or at least the requestId with which we can investigate, it's really  hard to know why your request failed.

But I looked at your dataset activities 11/19-20  and I see many errors. Half are of invalid requests and the rest is because you send too many request in a short period, so some where rejected with a meassage asking to try a bit later.

Hope this helps.

Yoav (PBI staff)

I am having the same exact error.  I am building a powershell script to automate publishing.  I have enabled Fiddler and I can catch the 400 bad request, but when I repeat, the same exact request via fiddler...it works.  Is there indeed a timing thing?  I am doing a few API calls, pretty much back to back. I am getting an AAD token, followed by getting the groupid, then the reportid based on the name of the pbix file, to make sure the workspace and report exist and if so, need to be overwritten.  I then publish the pbix, followed by taking ownership of the dataset and setting parameters.  I then am trying to bind the dataset to a gateway using:

https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/groups/GroupId/datasets/DatasetId/BindToGateway

To it I use the following body:

{"gatewayObjectId": "GatewayId"}

First attempt as part of the script I get a:

HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
Cache-Control: no-store, must-revalidate, no-cache
Content-Type: application/json; charset=utf-8
Strict-Transport-Security: max-age=31536000; includeSubDomains
X-Frame-Options: deny
X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff
RequestId: 1507f40e-c4d3-4505-b18c-08d756c68599
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 05:10:55 GMT
Content-Length: 189

{"error":{"code":"DMTS_CanNotFindMatchingDatasourceInGatewayError","pbi.error":{"code":"DMTS_CanNotFindMatchingDatasourceInGatewayError","parameters":{},"details":[],"exceptionCulprit":1}}}

But using Fiddler's Composer I clone the same EXACT request and get:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Content-Type: application/octet-stream
RequestId: b8ce9e60-298d-4054-ae41-78d97c273898
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 05:15:46 GMT
Content-Length: 0

Please help. I am actually setting up an Azure DevOps Release pipeline to automate this process for my developers.

Update:

I have noticed that a 2 second sleep seems to help, but now I am getting this on the update parameters request:

HTTP/1.1 429
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Content-Type: application/json; charset=utf-8
RequestId: e63505f6-bf41-4d22-94d8-d883188b4923
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 06:02:01 GMT

7F
{"error":{"code":"ActivityLimitReached","message":"UpdateDatasetParameters on c629a2a9-3932-4ce6-a5f6-1de659406843 throttled"}}

I think it is self explanatory.

yoavo
Employee
Employee

Hi,

Strange. Can you please post here the response to that binding request?

Also, if dataset is not bounded to the Gateway, then some later operation (e.g., refresh) should fail, right? Can you also post here the details of such a failure (the response if Via the API, or if via PBI portal UI, the picture of the pop up of failure, opened to show failure details)?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.