Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mroot
Frequent Visitor

.api folder not being created

Hey Everyone,

I am new to custom visual development.  Trying to create a new visual but noticed that the .api folder is not being created when making a new visual aka- pbiviz new myVisual.  All the tutorials include show the api folder part of the directory. What am I missing?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dm-p
Super User
Super User

The latest verson of the SDK (3.x) doesn't use the .api folder; the API has been separated from the SDK and is imported as a npm module. It's probably already installed if you have created a new project. If you see powerbi-visuals-api in your list of modules in package.json then the API is there.

if not, you can install by running the following in the root folder of your project:

npm i powerbi-visuals-api

MS are very behind in updating the documentation for the latest version of the tools 😞

Hope this sorts you out,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dm-p
Super User
Super User

The latest verson of the SDK (3.x) doesn't use the .api folder; the API has been separated from the SDK and is imported as a npm module. It's probably already installed if you have created a new project. If you see powerbi-visuals-api in your list of modules in package.json then the API is there.

if not, you can install by running the following in the root folder of your project:

npm i powerbi-visuals-api

MS are very behind in updating the documentation for the latest version of the tools 😞

Hope this sorts you out,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

mroot
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Daniel!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.