Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mathewsnjoy
Frequent Visitor

Will Power BI Embedded work alone without Premium account as per new rule

I have a trial PowerBI Azure subscription for embedding reports in PowerBI. I followed instructions provided. I log into Azure with my email id & password. Later I Select Add New --> (Data + Analytics) --> "Power BI Embedded". Now What I am getting is a page like this.

PBI_Azure_Embed.pngPBI_Azure_Embed01.png

Doubt 1 : Can I subscribe Power BI Embedded without Premium account?

Doubt 2 : Do I need Office365 for PBI embedded version to run?

Doubt 3: Am I missing something.

Can anyone help me? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MawashiKid
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi mathewsnjoy,

As most of us may already be aware, Microsoft has announced a significant decision to converge Power BI Embedded and the Power BI service to advance how Power BI content is embedded in apps. This means we will have one API surface, a consistent set of capabilities and access to the latest Power BI features.

So as a result, up to June 1st 2017, creating a new Workspace Collections - Workspace model process in a Power BI Embedded scenario was fairly easy to reproduce in a few steps on Azure Portal. You would end up with similar steps with Workspace Collection creating form on last blade,   
PBIE_pic01.png

but that's not exactly what happened in your case right? Instead you end up with page untitled Get Started with Power BI Embedded... listing all the steps to prepare for migration to Power BI REST API and in some cases..., no link provided provided as you scroll down. 😞

PBIE_pic02.png
So the big question is what do we do?   

In my case, I thought if I can no longer use the "main lobby entry door"..., then maybe I should try a backstage door...

Backstage door was through Azure CLI... If you follow all the steps as Jon Gallant describes in his blog, you should end up with something.

http://blog.jongallant.com/2017/01/create-powerbi-embedded-workspace-collection-with-azure-cli-1-0/

It worked in my case as I was able to create a new Workspace Collection-Workspace on Azure Portal. 

From there you can procede with rest of embedding procedures following steps as described in Jon's blog:

http://blog.jongallant.com/2017/01/powerbi-embedded-javascript-api-range-slider-filter/

N.B: Note that in my case this was a temporary solution  to be abl to display reports I created in former Power BI Embedded - Angular 4 demo application during a tech speech session.  I'm fully aware we'll have no choice to move to Power BI Premium Power BI REST API for embedding solutions, unless of course Microsoft comes back on their decision, though I doubt this will happen.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mathewsnjoy
Frequent Visitor

Thank you MawashiKid & Eric for your reply. Seems like need premium account in production to use embedding in our custom web application. I thought a subscription to Power BI embedded (using Azure Subscription) is enough for a developer & my customers using Pro account can access. Mean time I tried ProvisionSample.exe console app found in GitHub to import dashboard into my web application.I was able to achieve what I wanted.But knowing the requirement of Premium for production make me disappointed.

Regards

Mathew

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@WesL

The Power BI Embedded is being deprecated and it is not avaiable for new users. I can see the create option as I'm already using the Power BI Embedded.

Capture.PNG

The being deprecated Power BI Embedded will continue to work for a limited time, to avoid any extra migrating and re-developing work in future, it is recommended to start with the new replacement Embedding with non-Power BI users(Power BI Premium license needed).

Hi Eric

Do you have a view of how long "support for a limited time" will be? and also "migrate to the new system", does that refer to the Power BI Embedded Azure resource where the pricing is based on V-Cores starting at £560 per month?  Details from this link https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/power-bi-embedded/

Our situation certainly for the next twelve months will be extremely light usage as we start to explore this with our customers and suppliers.  Could you suggest the best option for us to be able to make use of the Power BI reports within our application based on a very light projected usage?

Thanks

Declan

MawashiKid
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi mathewsnjoy,

As most of us may already be aware, Microsoft has announced a significant decision to converge Power BI Embedded and the Power BI service to advance how Power BI content is embedded in apps. This means we will have one API surface, a consistent set of capabilities and access to the latest Power BI features.

So as a result, up to June 1st 2017, creating a new Workspace Collections - Workspace model process in a Power BI Embedded scenario was fairly easy to reproduce in a few steps on Azure Portal. You would end up with similar steps with Workspace Collection creating form on last blade,   
PBIE_pic01.png

but that's not exactly what happened in your case right? Instead you end up with page untitled Get Started with Power BI Embedded... listing all the steps to prepare for migration to Power BI REST API and in some cases..., no link provided provided as you scroll down. 😞

PBIE_pic02.png
So the big question is what do we do?   

In my case, I thought if I can no longer use the "main lobby entry door"..., then maybe I should try a backstage door...

Backstage door was through Azure CLI... If you follow all the steps as Jon Gallant describes in his blog, you should end up with something.

http://blog.jongallant.com/2017/01/create-powerbi-embedded-workspace-collection-with-azure-cli-1-0/

It worked in my case as I was able to create a new Workspace Collection-Workspace on Azure Portal. 

From there you can procede with rest of embedding procedures following steps as described in Jon's blog:

http://blog.jongallant.com/2017/01/powerbi-embedded-javascript-api-range-slider-filter/

N.B: Note that in my case this was a temporary solution  to be abl to display reports I created in former Power BI Embedded - Angular 4 demo application during a tech speech session.  I'm fully aware we'll have no choice to move to Power BI Premium Power BI REST API for embedding solutions, unless of course Microsoft comes back on their decision, though I doubt this will happen.

Hope this helps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors