Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

efonsecab

Which options are there to automate this specific scenario

We have a system which uses Power BI for cutomers to check data.

Reports invoke SQL Server functions with parameters changing per client, currently their Twitter Username,
so reports are the same except for the parameter.

The current deployment approach is to manually create a template, then when a new client arrives, open the template, change the parameter save and publish the report for that specific client.

We'd like to automate that process in this way

* User creates and account on our website by logging in with Twitter

* System starts creating the reports with the modified parameters to reflect the client's user.
* Publish the report ( either on a new Group within our tenant, or the ideal scenario: publishing on a new group in the client's tenant)

Is there any way to automate this process from Power BI, I have checked the API but it seems very limited at the moement.

2 REPLIES 2
kartikg2jee
Frequent Visitor

Its been a year since the question was asked . SO  I am interested in knowing if we can programmatically create and publish reports.

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@efonsecab

Are you aware of Row level security in Power BI? It seems exactly what you need. You can hold the report for all users in your group, add the users in the group(member read) and assign them proper roles. Then no effort is required on automation.

Regarding "System starts creating the reports with the modified parameters to reflect the client's user", as far as I know, so far there's no approach to access and modify a pbix file programmatically。

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.