Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SergeySmo
Regular Visitor

Where is regionally powerbi workspace dataset data located?

Hello.

I made a few tests with powerbi embedded and capacities. And it works not how I expect it (even after call with support)

My steps:
1. Create workspace.
2. Attach workspace to capacity in EU region.
3. Create dataset at created workspace.
4. Push data to created dataset.
5. Create report for created dataset.
6. View report - data exist and it's correct.
Now i expect that all data is located at EU region.

7. Change workspace capacity to another from US region.
8. View report - data still exists.

I expect that:
- report is empty cause workspace is attached to fresh new US capacity (support said - "in case if you change capacity for workspace then all data will be lost")
- data from eu capacity must be deleted (cause workspace is not attached anymore to EU capacity).

Can you explain please:
1) why data in report is still available after changing capacity?
2) where regionally data is located?
3) is there any way to get information/check workspace/dataset data region?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Discussed my question one more time with support.

In case if push dataset is using - all data are storing in tenant home region regardless wokspace capacity region.

That's why after changing capacity all data are still present on reports.

So in my case when i use push datasets and need ability to store data in different regions - i need to create separate tenant for each region.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @SergeySmo,

#1, I think this should same as the power bi support said, power bi not force remove existed contents when you do data region change operations. These old contents will still include in your workspace with references to old data regions.

#2, I'm not so sure what the 'regionally data' your mean, can you please explain more about this? If you mean the power bi datasets, they are stored in Azure blob storage. Perhaps you can go to the Azure portal to check them.

Power BI Security - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

#3, I'd like to suggest you take a look at power bi rest API 'admin' and 'capacities' parts.

Admin (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Docs

Capacities (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Docs

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

'regional data' - yes I mean powerbi datasets

I need to know where the data is storing/located (e.g. US West, California, Europe, Frankfurt, etc.)
This is important in order to inform the client where his data is stored, if they do not go outside their region (it may be limited by client security policy)

I looked at Azure Blob storage in the Azure portal and it is empty.

I guess powerbi is using Azure Blob storage under the powerbi hood (based on the power bi Architectire documentation).

But does it mean that regardless of the number and regions of capacities, all data is stored in the same Azure Blob storage in the same region based on the tenant location?

I have not found a way how to change/select/see current region of Azure Blob storage used by PowerBI.

HI @SergeySmo,

It seems like you are working on a push dataset, right? If that is the case, I'm not so sure if it's datasets stored similarly to common datasets. (I also check the documents but not found them mention detailed information of where these contents stored excepted 'power bi service whitepaper' I mention about)

For the new workspace, they are host on the azure site, perhaps you can use rest API to get capacity/group id and try to search on the azure site to check if any related contents of this group existed.

BTW, I think you can also contact azure support if they had some internal information about these.
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Discussed my question one more time with support.

In case if push dataset is using - all data are storing in tenant home region regardless wokspace capacity region.

That's why after changing capacity all data are still present on reports.

So in my case when i use push datasets and need ability to store data in different regions - i need to create separate tenant for each region.

SergeySmo
Regular Visitor

In documentation i find only how to check where is tenant data:

SergeySmo_0-1618478291832.png

But i suggest that it works only for "MyWorkspace" and workspaces with attached capacities should work in other way.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.