Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

brendaivett
Advocate II
Advocate II

Where are the "see records" columns setup?

Hi,

When I right-click on a visualization report, I get the "see records" option, I click on it, and I get the right number of records but a column that I'd like displayed as well, is not showing, I can add it while being in the "see records" section, but once I click on "back to report", then it's gone.

I reviewed the table's definition and it's including it. How can I add a column in that section and make it stay? where is the "see records" setup?

Thanks a lot!

Brenda

68 REPLIES 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! I'm facing the same ... believe that the best way to go it's to mergue (join) the tables with all the content that you need to display when clicking on "see records". This way not only you but everyone who looks at the report will be able to see them and you can save you a couple of clicks every time that you need to ee full details as well. 

shill1000
Helper IV
Helper IV

Perhaps the actual solution would be along the lines of using a visual as a Tooltip; be able to define a table you can shortcut to the visual and the table has the records? One of the thngs that annoys me with 'See Records' is that you can adjust the view itself once displayed, but those changes are not permanent. Being able to define a table of records specific to a visual/set of visuals would be a real boon.

Anonymous
Not applicable

this is wierd, I got a client asking for this and I thought it would be easy, but just came here and got to know it is a long pending known issue!

@Anonymous- Welcome to the land where simple ideas come to die...

vyuvaraj
Frequent Visitor

Waiting for this fix! please fix it

Still waiting for this feature...come on Microsoft, it shouldn't be that hard to improve this feature so at least you can specify what columns are included in the "See Records table"!

Bump. This is thread is now 3 years old and no sign of an improvement to the functionality. 😐

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bump

JimKingPowerBI
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hello... Microsoft... your customer base has been asking for a fix for this for more than three years now. Anybody out there????

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bump

Anonymous
Not applicable

bump

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bump

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hanging out for this to be implemented. At the very least, just the ability to save the "See Records" view preferences (column order and visible columns), on a per table level.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bump

messerjc
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

This is really affecting us right now as we're starting to use Power BI Report Server's PBI reports. We have a well-curated dimensional data model, and we're trying for now to only use Direct Query data sources so the behavior is the same as SSRS/paginated reports. I'm finding it annoying that DirectQuery does not support even basic transformations (or even just a change in view) so that when using "See Records" my datetime column always shows 12:00:00 AM with the date. Our main ID is a numeric field, and no matter what I've tried, instead of showing me the numeric ID as is it always displays the value comma seperated with .00 at the end. That all lead me to this post, and I thought I would just try to modify the way "See Records" behaves...only to find that you can't? This definitely needs some love guys.

Scratch most of that, of course weeks later as I post this I find the right report-wide Data type and Format modifiers in the toolbar! THAT SAID - I most definitely still would like more control over the way "See Records" is displayed.

Here is a potential workaround for people experiencing issues with date columns not showing up in See Records. I was able to use this method to add several date columns to the end of the See Records visualization that the users of one of my dashboards required.

Create a custom column using the following formula:

$ColumnName = FORMAT($Datasource[$DateColumn],"mm/dd/yy")

$ColumnName = Desired column header in See Records view

$Datasource = Your data source name

$DateColumn = The existing column name that contains the date in your data source

mm/dd/yy can be modified to the format your report requires.

Hopefully this helps someone. 

back to the top!!  Fix this please!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there seriously still no fix for this after 2+ years on these boards?! C'mon Microsoft! The people want this feature, now add it!

MVaughan1
Frequent Visitor

I re-ordered my source data to get the See Records columns in the order I need...  a right pain, and there must be an easier way

Is there an update for this?

If i have a simple fact table with integer fact keys joining the fact table to an integer key in a dimension - the associated dimension description does not appear when I click 'see records' unless I add the dimension description field to the 'tooltips' section. 

Any update/other workarounds?

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.