cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brendaivett Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Where are the "see records" columns setup?

Hi,

When I right-click on a visualization report, I get the "see records" option, I click on it, and I get the right number of records but a column that I'd like displayed as well, is not showing, I can add it while being in the "see records" section, but once I click on "back to report", then it's gone.

I reviewed the table's definition and it's including it. How can I add a column in that section and make it stay? where is the "see records" setup?

Thanks a lot!

Brenda

63 REPLIES 63
ZLJ Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Where are the "see records" columns setup?

I have the same issue.  I want to add columns and change the order of the columns, all of which i can do when i am looking at the records, but they are gone when i drill back in.

jcarville Established Member
Established Member

I am having the exact same issue.

I have a Column (Column A) that is made up by subtracting Column B from Column C, however only Column A is shown, but I would like all 3 Columns to be shown.

Has anybody found a way around this?

Zakk92 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

This has also been a thorn in the side of my dashboards for some time. The columns where I have calulcated a figure appear, but not the columns used to generate said figure.

If anyone could help it would be very much appreciated.

brendaivett Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi everybody,

I found in this link http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/In-line-hierarchy-levels-for-drill-down-in-power-bi-desktop/...

this "Seems like it is picking up all the text based fields when you see click records."

It doesn't make sense, but that's how it works, the "see records" include the fields that are already part of the visualization you're working on, plus the text based fields left on your table, so, I tested changing the datatype of one of my measure fields that I wanted to show into a text, and when I right-clicked for the "see records" option, now I could see the field I was testing with in the records.

Hope this helps! at least while it's fixed.

Brenda

jerome Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, that works, but is quite unfortunate that we need to do this work-around. I was really excited when they added the "See Records" feature. That feature is incredibly valuable for us. However, that certain fields are filtered out is a major flaw. We also need to be able to rearrange fields the way we want to. 

Vicky_Song Established Member
Established Member

@jerome@brendaivett@Zakk92@jcarville@ZLJ, as what I mentioned in this caseyou can use Values pane in Visualization to include, exclude and re-order some columns. Then, you will get columns exactly what you want when you export data.

P2.png

Does it work for you?

Highlighted
ZLJ Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi @Vicky_Song  

Do you mean in the original visualization or in the See Records visualization?

When i do this to the original, it then distorts the visual as it is pulling in values i do not want included at all.  When i add them in See Records, they dont keep once you go back to the report and drill in again later / via another route.

Vicky_Song Established Member
Established Member

@ZLJ, I mean in the 'See Records' visualization. You are right that these filters don't keep once go back to the report, however, you can take it as a workaround to choose columns you want when you're going to export data. I'm still waiting for the updates from our senior engineers on how 'See Records' works. Will reply back once I get any updates.  

jerome Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Vicky_Song,

It works for me as an administrator, but my users are unable to the Values pane. They can only see the filters pane and so this workaround does not help my other users. Thank you for the suggestion though.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Find out what's new in the Power BI Community!

Summit North America

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 302 members 4,154 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: