Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

What's the maximum dataset size in A1-A6 and EM1-EM3 embedded plans?

Hi,

I know that Power BI Pro comes with a 1GB dataset limit (i.e. PBIX size) and 10GB workspace limit:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-manage-your-data-storage-in-power-bi

I also know that Power BI Premium P1/P2/P3 can handle 3/6/10GB datasets respectively, though that's "recommended", not the theoretical maximum:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-premium-large-datasets

The Power BI Premium whitepaper stated in October 2017 that:

"Large datasets (Not available at launch)
The standard limitation on the dataset size cached in Power BI is 1 GB. But with Power BI Premium, we will be removing that limitation. You will be able to build models as large as the Power BI Premium dedicated capacity memory can hold. This means that the Power BI Premium P3 SKU will be able to support a dataset with 50 GB of data or more, and upcoming SKUs will offer capacity sizes that allow datasets with hundreds of gigabytes of data!"

What I haven't found in writing is the dataset size maximum with Azure (A1-A6) and O365 (EM1-EM3) Embedded SKUs. Is it 1GB? Can someone provide an official link to back that up? Thanks!

This thread from a couple of months ago was not conclusive (its author, ssharman, told me by private message that he has had an open support ticket with Microsoft for weeks on this topic):

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Power-BI-limitations-for-large-datasets/td-p/363443

Edit: looking into my Azure account, I see that A1 to A6 go from 3 to 100 GB "Cache". According to the following page, "Cached datasets refer to PBIX files that had imported data as opposed to a live connection or DirectQuery connection."

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/migrate-from-powerbi-embedded

Is that cache equivalent to total workspace storage (i.e. like the 10GB ceiling for a Power BI Pro account), or can this be the size of a single dataset (i.e. A3 would give you a 10GB max dataset size?). From the list of SKUs, this "cache" looks to be the RAM assigned to the instance. Does the Power BI Premium philosophy as stated in the whitepaper also apply to embedded SKUs?

If there's a page from Microsoft that spells this out clearly, I haven't found it! The "how to plan capacity for Power BI Embedded" whitepaper doesn't cover dataset size. I appreciate any help on this matter, and if anyone from Microsoft reads this, please ask your colleagues to improve documentation on this aspect of PBI embedded.

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions.

As far as I know, there should be no 'DataSet' available within Power BI Embedded.

The report, dashboard or visuals are all stored in Power BI Service (Server side, or back end) side, what Power BI Embedded do is just get the report from Power BI Service and then make it available in your own Application, or saying: End User interface.

There is no need for Power BI Embedded to keep a DataSet.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedding

Only having the Power BI Embedded license will not work, a master Power BI Pro account is needed, in order for the Embedded API to get the resources from the App workspace.

Check more FAQs in the following page:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded-faq

Regards,

Michael

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions.

As far as I know, there should be no 'DataSet' available within Power BI Embedded.

The report, dashboard or visuals are all stored in Power BI Service (Server side, or back end) side, what Power BI Embedded do is just get the report from Power BI Service and then make it available in your own Application, or saying: End User interface.

There is no need for Power BI Embedded to keep a DataSet.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedding

Only having the Power BI Embedded license will not work, a master Power BI Pro account is needed, in order for the Embedded API to get the resources from the App workspace.

Check more FAQs in the following page:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded-faq

Regards,

Michael

Hi,

Thanks for your answer, but i'm not sure i understand how it answers @otraversostravers question.

Do you mean that for all that matters regarding datasets limits we should consider the limits published here? Also for embedded use-case?

Yes, can we please get a definitive technical answer and an update to the docs for doobs question as per embedded SKUs A1-A6.

The silence is deafening.

@jimmcslim @otravers @doobs @v-micsh-msft 

Have you got any answers to this?

I have the same problem, just bought A1, and my dataset won't be loaded in powerbi.com..

And the pbix file I upload is only 600 mb... It doesn't make sense at all..

Capture.PNG

otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

I think what @v-micsh-msft meant is that the dataset is owned by your Power BI Pro (or premium capacity) license, it's not "hosted" in PBI Embedded, just cached and visually rendered. As per the Embedded documentation: "The Power BI Pro account acts as a master account for your application."

@MWpower I've seen this same error message in regular PBI Pro charts (i.e. no Embedded involved), it's not related to the dataset size limit, but rather to the memory consumption of that specific visual. Are you by any chance using a table or matrix with a very large number of unfiltered rows?

BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

Hi,

Thanks for your answer, but i'm not sure i understand how it answers otravers question.

Do you mean that for all that matters regarding datasets limits we should consider the limits published here? Also for embedded use-case?

Thanks Michael, this really should be clarified in the docs because datasets are so central to the experience in the PBI service, it's not intuitive at all that they wouldn't even be part of embedded.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.